A6 - what to buy and when (gold and skill points)

Da_Hammer

I can never decide what to buy or when to buy it. I'm through most of the demo and each of my characters is level 10 and has 50+ skill points (except the one getting the tool use) and I'm over 14K in gold.

I'm guessing I should spend the money on trainers. But should I get the arcane lore spell items first? Do you ever train in individual spells? All characters are human. All are DT. EW beserker. NF shaman. PS priest. And NM mage.

Which special skills do you recommend for each character type and is there a preferred order to unlock them?

I realize there are as many ways to do this as there are players, but any suggestions?

Yes, skill trainers are the best thing to spend money on. Avoid spending money on items if you can, unless it's something really good.

Most of the Arcane Lore items don't turn up until late in the game, so in practice you may want to throw a couple of skill points toward Arcane Lore if you're impatient and want to learn every spell as soon as possible.

Don't ever pay money to train in individual spells unless you absolutely have to learn a specific spell that you don't already know.

Your character building decisions are okay, if not perfect. Nephilim and sliths are better than humans, and Nimble Fingers isn't a very good trait, but there's not much you can do about that now. I'd recommend building melee fighters toward Parry, Quick Strike and Riposte, while spellcasters should probably focus on intelligence and spellcasting skills, plus maybe some Bows to help unlock battle disciplines. Everyone wants lots of Endurance.

There are exceptions to the never train spells rule. Spells that are low in rank and therefore cheap are good candidates. I'll happily buy Minor Heal, usually Bolt of Fire, and sometimes War Blessing.

—Alorael, who can inform you that, unless you're playing on Torment, playing with your gold and skill points a bit won't ruin your game. You don't have to optimize to survive.