Geneforge 3 - Giving it another try ?

Nim

So I have played though every Geneforge game at least once, with the exception of GF3. The farthest I've come there was Gull Island where I stopped playing because I didn't really care anymore.

The first 2 islands are so boring, Dhonals was fine in the first half but degenerated into a slugfest from the army camp onward.

Apart from that I don't see any compelling reason why I should join the rebels, not that there is much to be seen from them on the first islands apart from rogues and I don't really consider Lankan a rebel.

So, does the game get better/more interesting on Gull Island and the Isle of Spears ? Will there be some better reason presented why I should join the rebels than just power ?

I say go for it.

Out of the series, G3 is my second favorite. (G4 is my favorite) Mostly because you feel like you are actually making a difference and are in a war. Also, while the boat system stinks, it makes choke points throughout the game. This allows you to complete every map up until that point gaining alot of XP, and you know you will be ready for the next Island, and have learnt everything of importance before moving on. This also allows charcters to refer to your actions and comment giving their perspective.

Greenwood. I agree with you, pretty boring and not too intresting, however it dos to a good introduction do most things Shaper.

Harmony. Things get interesting here, but this island is harder for rebels. The Island is a deadlock, you break the stalemate. All the time you here differnt sides of the story and by 'Removing' certain charcters it dosn't change the story but allows you to do something important at the start and not wait till the end before your first and only major decision.

Dhonals: FUN! Pretty boring is the first half. You do learn valuable info. Than you literally activate an army and get to see them run off to fight. You get to see the army progress with you, if you skip ahead of the army, no help. As you fight you know you are getting closer to your goal.

Gull: I found this boring for the first bit. (Had to go back to Dohnals to sell my loot so I didn't like that). Than you see that you get to change the story again. Your choice. You also renuite with charcters, all the while helping or harming the Shapers and/or rebels.

Spears: The last island is pre-decided. Your previous actions determinds who helps you. Unlike the other series where you could almost walk to the end of the game before deciding your faction, its decided for you.

The feeling of acutally participatiing is what makes this game great.

Originally Posted By: Hypnotizingerburger

Spears: The last island is pre-decided. Your previous actions determinds who helps you. Unlike the other series where you could almost walk to the end of the game before deciding your faction, its decided for you.

The feeling of acutally participatiing is what makes this game great.

Saying its decided for you is inaccurate. It be better to say you have made your decision by now

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding things to see as you get into the late game:

Although it takes a while, Gull Island is where one meets Khyryk (sp?), whom I feel is one of the most interesting characters in the game; I also thought Khor's Deep was an especially cool zone (underground mansion, hidden chamber, reuniting with Hoge). Those are both a ways into exploring Gull Island, so maybe they are reasons to persevere.

Isle of Spears features an odd, interesting Drakon who is greedy, and a rather interesting village full of serviles and Drayks that is sort of cool to see--if you're a rebel and aren't forced into completely slaughtering them...

It really isn't until Gull Island that the Rebels have a chance to become remotely compelling (not that I think they ARE compelling in G3, just that they improve beyond faceless rogues). Chill with the Serviles in Stonespire, chat them up, and give someone other than the wackos Litalia and Hoge a chance to persuade of their cause. Probably the biggest reason to Rebels, I think, is the drayks. They are more interesting than the serviles, I think. Oh, you also might enjoy smacking around some of the stupid shapers you've encountered thus far in the game. Sadly, joining the rebels requires you to kill Khyryk.

Another opportunity that comes from going rebel is...SPOILER...

...Playing as a rebel, you'll eventually be sent to kill Rahul, and when that happens, you'll end up in a secret prison zone that is kind of interesting to escape from.

CEASE SPOILER

Overall, my sympathies lie more with the Shapers in G3, but neither they nor the Rebels are really all that appealing in this game.