A6 - Why are thrown weapons better than bows?

VCH

I recently decided to have my mage start throwing some stuff at the enemy. It's a good way to conserve spell points. But why do most thrown weapons do so more damage than bows? My Nephilim priest archer with 7 points in bows and 4 in sharpshooter does average 16 damage with a yew bow. But my mage with zero points in throws and 4 in sharpshooter does average 25 damage with steel javelins. I realise steel javelins have a higher base damage range. But that doesn't mean bows have to suck.

Does it have something to do with thrown weapons needing to be restocked?

I'm thinking I maybe should have had both mage and priest use throws. But maybe there wouldn't be enough thrown weapons for the two of them.

On that note, what are the thrown weapons exactly, (javelins and razordisks only), or are there more? And why can't I throw rocks, there's lots of them around and it seems like a waste to leave them on the ground.

Rocks used to be throwable in BoA. Thrown weapons also include fine lances.

Thrown weapons do more damage because they are heavier. Back in Exile games they actually did less damage but took 1 less action point so you could have more attacks per round.

There are enough thrown weapons for an alternate attack. If you use them as a regular attack then save the best for major fights.

Thrown weapons do more damage because if they didn't, there would be no reason to use a weapon that runs out over one that doesn't.

In addition to the base damage difference, regular (non-longbow) bows do about 1.13 damage per point in a Bow-type skill, while javelins do about 1.63 damage per point in a Throws-type skill.