A6 - Gladwell (and possible bug)

entitything

About fifteen saves back I talked to Gladwell at Patrick's Tower and told him I wouldn't help him (I made another save where I agreed, in case I decided I wanted to go back and play that route and compare relative fun levels with my homemade funometer). Now I'm at Fort Remote, and dialogue with the apathetic captain gives me the option to say "I'm from Patrick's Tower and I have orders to do SEEKRIT THINGS to your SEEEKRIT upper tunnels." Is that supposed to happen even though I told Gladwell I didn't have time to help him? Am I getting my quests confused again?

Can anyone give a report on the relative merits of playing with Gladwell? Do you get a chance to kill him in this one? (oooh, I'd like to kill him. I'm not a particularly bloodthirsty gamer but Gladwell needs killin', as many times as I get a chance to do it.)

If you don't have the Buried Seal quest from Gladwell, I don't think you should have a dialog option at Fort Remote about the secret tunnels inside the fort, and it would therefore be a bug.

EDIT: Wait, if you have that dialog option, did you actually get into the secret tunnel inside the SE part of Fort Remote? If so, you should only be able to do that if Gladwell gave you the Buried Seal quest, and told you how to get in there.

Yes, you can kill Gladwell eventually, if you think you're tough enough, but (unless someone knows otherwise) only if you do all of his quests, the last of which eventually draws him away from Patrick's Tower where you can face him without turning the tower hostile.

There are, as ever, significant rewards for playing Gladwell's game for the time being. You will also affect the outcome of the game to some degree. I did all of his quests, and I did away him with afterwards. You might want to save your game at that fork too, to see how the game ends if you do not kill him.

-S-

I went the route of helping Gladwell and tried both forks of killing and not kiling him. They give significantly different endings.

If you don't help Gladwell there is supposed to be a Job Board quest later in the game regarding Gladwell, but I haven't got a game far enough along to know what it is.

Edit - Regarding what Khoth says, the towns aren't usually hostile but you can miss at least one quest depending upon when you do Gladwell's quests.

No, I didn't get into the secret tunnels inside the fort, just got the "mysterious draft" flavr text in the gallery.

IS it about the excavation, not the secret tunnels in the fort? If so, that's kind of confusing.

Interesting info about Gladwell. I wonder if I can take his quest now, or if I screwed anything up when I was in Fort Remote.