Anama vs. Mages = Romans vs. Celts

So,

I'm enjoying my way around A5. Finished the demo area and stumbled across the interesting choice to sell out Shanker for better standing with the Empire or help her for magics. Since I'm not entirely happy with my party and I'm not planning on replaying the game 5 times, I think I'm gonna play through with a party of Anama's (Empire,evil) and after that with a party of mages (Avernum,good).

So my question is, is this the right setup? Are there significant rewards for mages on the Empire side that I'll be missing out on? Non-spoilerish answers appreciated but not necessary

Selling out Shaker gets some immediate experience and you no longer can get training or do quests. A quick hop back and forth to the Portal Fortress confirms this.

To get almost all spells you need to read books or accept training from non-Empire approved mages. Insitar back at Blackchasm Outpost will teach some mid level spells after you reach Tranquility, but you can't get the best spells from the Empire.

I always was going to try a pure pro-Empire party that refuses to learn from books or anyone other than Insitar. I never found the time. frown

Originally Posted By: Turtle
Without being too spoilerish, there's a conflict between playing as Anama and playing as a Darkside loyalist.

actually I expected that, the Anama being goody two-shoes and all. But I thought I might get by as a turn coat. Is there a point where you definitely have to decide between the two?