InsideMacGames Review[G5]

Link to InsideMacGames review.

This is a better review than the other and is a much better at explaining it to an unfamiliar reader. My only gripe is you picked a poor tactic for dealing with the Eyebeast in Lerman's Pass. Running away and luring it to it's doom away from the turrets works better.

The reviewer is wrong that OS 10.3.9 isn't supported since I beta tested the whole game with it.

I posted that information in my review.

What can I say? Even on Torment I tended to take things using a straightforward approach. After all, you're not going to have much trouble when you focus on high magic or high shaping anyway.

By the end of the game, my first character had 28 intelligence. With that, I was able to make a pretty powerful set of creatures and still have a nice chunk of essence left over for casting. The crafting recipes were a little hard to find out, but once you know the technique you can just experiment until you see something you like. (Like Lifecraft Gauntlets)

Short and correct. Given the amount of emphasis on the factions, I'd think they would get more than a passing note. That aside, it gives the basic information succinctly: this is an old-fashioned RPG without bells or whistles that's still well worth playing.

I guess I don't see what would make me pick Geneforge over, say, Eschalon in that review. It's probably enough to get people to download the demo, though, and after that the game can speak for itself.

—Alorael, who played through the Eyebeast like Franklin, albeit on normal difficulty. It was definitely an effective tactic to split forces. Maybe it wasn't optimal, but it worked well enough.

I would like to have seen more about the overall feel of G5 rather than mechanics of movement. Also, some mention of the way G5 has of completely absorbing the player into the Shaper/rebel world would have been nice. I really *felt* those ethical dilemmas as I played and struggled with them. How often does that happen in a game? However, I was really happy with the review overall because it did offer the positive outlook that the game deserved. The first review was ridiculous. Now there was someone who didn't even bother to play the game and was in no position to talk about the fine points (or even the basics) of the game.

I think it's a good review. I like that you've highlighted the things players like in these games -- character construction, tactics/strategic play, interesting bosses -- and were still kind enough to give the graphics 7/10 !

Quote:
(G5) is entertaining enough to merit multiple playthroughs....

put skill points into your combat skills.

I agree that much of the replay value comes in the factional choices / story choices; I guess I'd also stress that some of the replay value for me comes from the different strategies available for those characters emphasizing shaping, magic, or combat.