Exile3 - Solo Question

Teslacrashed

So I want to solo Exile 3, and I was curious if a single solo character CAN read all spellbooks/pick all locks, etc. Basically is 20 in the various skills enough to go everywhere and do everything?

Also, as a bonus question, anyone know if say having 6 character with ALL traits work better than just 1? Like Cave Lore and Woodsman. Say one of these mysterious "events" happens, will it be check for 6 times, or will just 1 character count?

In Exile 3, it's not really hard at all to go through with a lone character. 20 Mage Lore is enough to get nearly all spells and potion recipes, and the best way to deal with locks is the Unlock spell, which is a simple level 3 mage spell.

You only need one character with the Cave Lore and Woodsman traits. More characters with the same trait won't do anything extra. In fact, if you're going with a singleton, you may as well take every single one of the positive traits, since you'll be getting plenty of experience anyway.

At low levels, make sure to have at least 4 strength so that you gain decent amounts of HP every level, and at least 4 intelligence so that your spells don't completely suck. Getting strength up to 10 early on isn't a bad idea, but make sure to keep your spellcasting skills up to date as well, so that you can stay hasted and blessed at all times. Multiple castings of Haste and Bless do stack: if physical attacks are hitting you at all, you haven't blessed enough.

If your concern is purely accessibility rather than viability, you can play comfortably. Only Item Lore and Mage Lore are totaled over all characters. You can do just fine without the former, and as Thuryl says 20 of the latter will be fine.

—Alorael, who has run parties in which everyone had all the positive traits just because he could. The two that are needed once per party don't cost enough to really be a problem.

Originally Posted By: Shifty Like the Mesh
Bless really is ridiculous in Exile. A fully-powered blessing gives you +40% to hit, +40% to dodge, +8 to damage, and a flat -8 to all incoming physical damage which is the most ridiculous part.

That's just the highest blessing that can be granted to you via special nodes. I'm convinced that blessing from spells goes higher than that; I've seen enemies go from hitting all the time to missing all the time.

Originally Posted By: Brooms for Resuscitation
—Alorael, who has run parties in which everyone had all the positive traits just because he could.
That's what I do with my standard party, for the same reason.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
I've seen enemies go from hitting all the time to missing all the time.
I've seen that too, just from blessing everyone in my party twice in a row.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Brooms for Resuscitation
—Alorael, who has run parties in which everyone had all the positive traits just because he could.
That's what I do with my standard party, for the same reason.

I did that the first time I played, because I didn't know ant better. It's pretty nice when all your characters regenerate HP quickly.

Getting all the positive traits is actually not a bad idea even if you do know better. Nearly all of them are quite good, even if having all of them might not be good enough to justify needing twice the normal experience to level up. Recuperation is almost a necessity: I can't imagine playing without it.

Bless really is ridiculous in Exile. A fully-powered blessing gives you +40% to hit, +40% to dodge, +8 to damage, and a flat -8 to all incoming physical damage which is the most ridiculous part.

That's just the highest blessing that can be granted to you via special nodes. I'm convinced that blessing from spells goes higher than that; I've seen enemies go from hitting all the time to missing all the time.

That's because hits that do zero damage register as misses, IIRC. Anyway, you can tell this is the limit on blessing from spells you cast by looking at the character screen. If your weapons are identified, it will display bonus damage and to-hit chances, including modifications from status effects like bless and curse. They cap out at +8/40%. Also, I think I remember the code confirming this when I peeked at the BoE source.

Also note that if you bless yourself *and* you curse the enemies (easy with Curse All) that amounts to an 80% bonus to dodge, and a -16 modifier to incoming damage.

That's because hits that do zero damage register as misses, IIRC. Anyway, you can tell this is the limit on blessing from spells you cast by looking at the character screen. If your weapons are identified, it will display bonus damage and to-hit chances, including modifications from status effects like bless and curse. They cap out at +8/40%. Also, I think I remember the code confirming this when I peeked at the BoE source.

Hits that do zero damage definitely don't register as misses: the status window actually shows "No damage." instead of "X misses."

In any case, I'm not convinced. The specific situation I'm thinking of was Xanathar, a magic-immune enemy (therefore not cursable) with 40 skill (therefore would almost never miss under normal conditions) and a 20d50 damage melee attack (therefore would always do lots of damage) in Doom Moon II. After casting Bless Party once, he still hit all the time. After casting Bless Party four or five times, he missed about 80% of the time. It's possible that accuracy bonuses cap at +40%, but evasion bonuses certainly don't.

I just looked at the BoE code, and you're exactly right. To-hit modifications for PCs cap blessing impact between +8 and -8 points of bless/curse. However, when a monster attacks, _no cap_ is imposed on PC blessing status. This is in the most spaghettilike of all the code sections, so it's not clear whether this is intentional or an oversight, but it indeed seems that casting Bless enough times should make it impossible for *any* enemy to hit you. Ever.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
It's pretty nice when all your characters regenerate HP quickly.
Seconded. By the time I'm done with Kriszan and Shayder, I almost feel sorry for the slimes and roaches.
Getting all the positive traits is actually not a bad idea even if you do know better. Nearly all of them are quite good, even if having all of them might not be good enough to justify needing twice the normal experience to level up.
I get all the positive traits, and to heck with the experience penalty. It just makes my PCs into tanks a little faster.

Originally Posted By: The Bow in the Clods

Perhaps you need to modify your strategy. Blessing my characters did a lot of benefit in both Exile 2 and 3.

Usually I have one, or even two speeding items in almost (if not all) my PCs. Whenever I can find someone selling them I grab it (they are indeed rare). Also don't forget the advantages of the editor. If you hate to cheat, at least do yourself a little favor and get a ring or helm of speed from the editor, one for every character.

In addition, when I enter battle mode; I cast major haste right away. I summon a few basilisks and troglodyte khazis. The khazis are weak (health 50) but they can cast kill which is great. Major Blessing (poisons weapon) and a Bless Party. If you can do all that in one round you're set. When in doubt cast Avatar which you can get from the dragon (it is Sulfras or Athron?) on your PC (or your most vulnerable one).

About the solo question, I believe (personal experience) it will be impossible (if not nearly impossible) specially when your PC gets dumbfounded. If you should get dumbfounded and you're deep in a dungeon, say your prayers... Unless you have the potion of clarity (alchemy) you learn from the dragons as well. When your SPs run out that would also hurt quite a lot too.

Good luck either way!

Originally Posted By: MacCentris
Perhaps you need to modify your strategy. Blessing my characters did a lot of benefit in both Exile 2 and 3.

By ridiculous, he means ridiculously good.

Originally Posted By: MacCentris
About the solo question, I believe (personal experience) it will be impossible (if not nearly impossible) specially when your PC gets dumbfounded. If you should get dumbfounded and you're deep in a dungeon, say your prayers... Unless you have the potion of clarity (alchemy) you learn from the dragons as well. When your SPs run out that would also hurt quite a lot too.

There's no good reason to let yourself get so badly affected by dumbfounding that you can't cast Restore Mind. Webs are much more of a problem for a singleton than dumbfounding, since you can be permanently immobilised by those. Lots of people have finished all of the games with a solo character, so it's definitely not impossible.