Geneforge 5 transfer to new Computer

Uberdhizon

I got a new computer for Christmas and I did the migration thing from my old one so all the files were copied over. I tried opening Geneforge 5, and it wouldn't work! Geneforge 3, which I also transfered over worked just fine. Can someone help me? It says something about putting the file in a "non case-sensitive hard drive" and I have no idea what the crap that means! I tried re-downloading Geneforge, but whenever I loaded 'spiderwebsoftware.com' safari quit unexpectedly (at least for the first two times). I tried downloading the beta from the forum, but it was gone. What do I do?

To clear up some questions:

Yes, I use a mac, how else would I have GF5?

I tried going to spiderwebsoftware.com again and nothing happened. I don't know what was wrong, but it fixed.

Last time I downloaded it again it carried registration and files. Hopefully it will this time. I'm checking.

Yippedeezoodah: It copied over files and registration. smile

I'm not sure about Mac computers as I don't use one, but maybe some essential files (do Macs have hidden or system files like Windows does?) weren't transferred over.

You might have to reinstall it just to make sure you've installed everything properly. You could try using a different internet browser to download the demo again and see if that works.

The demo you download will need a different registration key so you'll have to email Jeff with the new code.

Windows doesn't use case-sensitive filesystems. He uses a Mac. Other people have reported similar problems with Geneforge 5 and case-sensitive hard drives. Basically what it means is you can have a file named "pigs.app" and another file named "PiGs.app" in the same directory. However, if a program needs a file called, for instance, HamHocks.cfg, but looks for hamhocks.cfg (lowercase) instead, it will not find the file on a case-sensitive hard drive, and will result in errors.

At least that's my understanding of it. I don't have a Mac.

ADOS got the basics. The other point is that hard drives used with Macs can be formatted either as case-sensitive, or not case-sensitive.

Older macs (before OS X I think, but not sure about the cutoff point) weren't designed to handle case-sensitive stuff at all, just like PCs. So generally, you get better compatibility from a case-insensitive format.

Originally Posted By: Uberdhizon
I got a new computer for Christmas and I did the migration thing from my old one so all the files were copied over. I tried opening Geneforge 5, and it wouldn't work! Geneforge 3, which I also transfered over worked just fine. Can someone help me? It says something about putting the file in a "non case-sensitive hard drive" and I have no idea what the crap that means! I tried re-downloading Geneforge, but whenever I loaded 'spiderwebsoftware.com' safari quit unexpectedly (at least for the first two times). I tried downloading the beta from the forum, but it was gone. What do I do?

To clear up some questions:
Yes, I use a mac, how else would I have GF5?
I tried going to spiderwebsoftware.com again and nothing happened. I don't know what was wrong, but it fixed.
Last time I downloaded it again it carried registration and files. Hopefully it will this time. I'm checking.

Yippedeezoodah: It copied over files and registration. smile

Have the checked this thread for case-sensitive HD?

http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=147874#Post147874

If that doesn't work then let us know.