Spell skills

I missed it for quite a long time too, in fact. Eventually I gave up on knowing spell levels, until I saw a topic here where everyone was talking about them. I didn't think they had just remembered them or written them down, so I took one more look around and found it. It's kind of strange, since I'm usually fairly observant about things like that. I guess it doesn't really look like something you'd click, since it's neither a button nor a "link," so I just unconsciously passed over it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Spell levels don't matter as much as in previous Averna, though, at least for most spells. Remember Haste level 3 being a group haste? That was rather spiffy. It would be quite handy to have such a spell in A4, though that would decrease the tactical challenge significantly, and change the balance of the game, so it's probably better off like this. Oh well...

Required skill levels are in the manual, and the required skill level is also shown with the spell description if you mouse over a spell that you can't cast in the casting menu.

—Alorael, who only rarely ran into spells he couldn't yet cast. There are benefits to being a glass cannon.

Quote:
Spell levels don't matter as much as in previous Averna, though, at least for most spells. Remember Haste level 3 being a group haste? That was rather spiffy. It would be quite handy to have such a spell in A4, though that would decrease the tactical challenge significantly, and change the balance of the game, so it's probably better off like this. Oh well...
Yeah, in avernum 4 it works like in geneforge. One extra level in each spell is identical to +1 spellcraft. Often not worth buying it.

Also, in previous Avernums intelligence raised spell damage, now it doesn't.