A4- Save files?!

Kor

Try searching for the files: "Start->Search->For Files or Folders...", and then type the exact name of one saved game, .sav extension included.

I think Jeff's latest games usually save the games in My Documents, but I guess they could have been accidentally misplaced somewhere else.

On the Mac they are stored in folders called "Save0" through "Save19" with individual files called things like "data", "header", "items" and "journal".

These files reside in the "Avernum 4 Files" folder which is in the same place as the application.

Maybe that will help you with tracking it down on "the other platform".

The name you save under in game doesn't show up in the file name of the save game. All saved games are named sav0 to sav19 with sav19 being autosave and sav18 being quick save. The first in game save slot correspond to sav0 and so forth.

So look at the save file that corresponds to the position that you saved under. If you have only one saved game then the others will be the installation created temp files.

Well, I installed A4 just to check the mysterious save game problem. I'm a Vista x64 user, and installed the game in the default folder.

After starting the game, I saved the game in the first available slot, and quit. After some searching, the saved game was found in "c:\program files (x86)\avernum 4\data\save0\", so the obvious folder. Since your folders were empty, the only guess I have is that you've installed the game twice. Are you running the game from the start menu, and if so, have you verified that it is in fact running the game from the directory that has the empty save folders?

Like I said, everything worked fine with me, so if the above doesn't help, then I'm all out of ideas.