should i get avernum...

If you're starting afresh without any prior knowledge of Spiderweb games (or if you've played Exile or Nethergate but not Avernum), I strongly recommend starting with A1 or A2. If you're coming from one of the Geneforges, I recommend going straight to A4, which will be more familiar.

But you can play the demos and see for yourself. They're all pretty representative of their respective games.

The beginning of A2's demo is representative, but as soon as you hop on a boat you get an experience very different from just about everything else in any Avernum.

—Alorael, who made a grievous error in forgetting to append his signature. Still, one out of 10,000 ain't bad. (Slightly more, really, but who's counting?)

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
What, no sig?
He's going to change it once he notices, I'm sure. And we will never have seen his post as it was without the sig, because the sig was always there.

Meanwhile, for posterity:

Quote:
Originally written by Sergeant-at-Arms:
The beginning of A2's demo is representative, but as soon as you hop on a boat you get an experience very different from just about everything else in any Avernum.
Although I suppose I could have subconsciously edited the sig out.

Or Alo could consciously edit it in, later.

I've yet to play A4 (March is coming too slowly!), yet I don't think it will be a problem to play it first. Jeff did a pretty good job in A2 and A3 summarizing what came first. Personally, I played the A3 demo first, and had few problems figuring out the history.

It all boils down to how much money (and time) you want to spend. If you just want to buy one game, I'd recommend downloading the trilogy demos, then playing A4. I've found the quality of the games have increased as the series went on, and (hopefully) A4 is even better.

--------------------

I've seem to misplaced my sanity. Have you seen it?

Actually, if you play A4 before A3, then you'll pretty much have to get a fair amount of A3's plot spoiled for you. This is rather more of a problem for A3 in particular than A1 (which doesn't have any real plot) or A2 (which has a predictable plot once you finish the first two chapters, which are themselves in the demo).