exile I terr type diff (rubble...)

Sanuich

On 7/4/2019 at 9:36 AM, Sanuich said:

maybe it takes more time to cross....

Not yet, I'm afraid! In Exile I, rubble is only there to make the caves look more realistic. If you want to check, try walking through some rubble when some wandering groups are nearby. You'll see that they still move one square for every square that you move, no matter what terrain you're walking on.

Interestingly, this *did* briefly become a feature in the Exile series, but only in one small part of a later release. In one of Jeff's later works, the Za-Khazi Run, stepping on rubble does slow the party down. The mechanic only appeared this once, though.

Generally speaking, rubble is just for looks. Don't worry! If a square does something strange in one of these games, the game will make it very clear!

7 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

In one of Jeff's later works, the Za-Khazi Run, stepping on rubble does slow the party down. The mechanic only appeared this once, though.

Was that a function of the rubble, or was it just (and I have completely forgetten the BoE terminology) selecting the places where there is rubble as places where a thing to slow the party (or change a timer) would be triggered?

The properties of rubble in the Za-Khazi Run are something intrinsic to the rubble tiles themselves, rather than specials that are manually placed. My feeling is that Jeff did this to demonstrate one particular feature of the editor: editing terrain types.

In this scenario, Jeff created a new rubble tile. This looks identical to normal rubble (which is hard-coded). However, when the party steps on it, it calls a scenario special. This increments the in-game time counter, and displays a message the first time it occurs. This means that, wherever a rubble tile is placed, the party will be slowed down when they walk on it – with no more work from the scenario designer!