Avernum 4 issues

BerryPolter

I'm playing Avernum 4 and whenever I press escape in order to access the mai options durin the game the game freezes for 5 seconds before executing every comand RELATED to the options screen DURING the game.Why is that?

And can I change the encumbrance so that I could carry infinite weight?The realism of being forced to carry only a certain weight of items turns into decreased gameplay as it forces me to switch items from one character to another or leave them in order to go to town and sell it and puting them down before a fight.

Quote:
Can't I modify something with a hex editor?

Theoretically, probably. Discussion of such techniques is, however, not permitted on these forums due to its obvious applications for stealing games.

There might be ways to mitigate your problems through less frowned-upon approaches, such as modifying your game's item definitions scripts to decrease all of the item weights. You might look in the Avernum Series forum for more information.

Originally Posted By: BerryPolter
I'm playing Avernum 4 and whenever I press escape in order to access the mai options durin the game the game freezes for 5 seconds before executing every comand RELATED to the options screen DURING the game.Why is that?

Provided your system requirements are met and you haven't tampered with the game, the most likely answer is a corrupt game file. Try simply uninstalling and reinstalling the game. If that doesn't fix it and no one else knows, email Jeff.

Originally Posted By: BerryPolter

Does your computer use Windows Vista? Other people please forgive me if this question sounds dumb. Having never used Vista and also having heard pretty much nothing but problems from it, it seems like a likely scenario. Unless I'm completely wrong! cool

Post # 450

You could change the game scripts, but for a slightly simpler (and more temporary) method, I created a little mod which might help you.

The Avernum 4 Unencumbrance Mod will create a slightly modified copy of Avernum 4.exe with a different filename. When you run the newly created executable file, encumbrance will not exist. (It should totally remove the effects of encumbrance, but I can only verify that it removes AP penalties.) If you get tired of playing without encumbrance, you can just run the original Avernum 4.exe. Your party won't be changed in any way.

The zip file contains instructions for how to apply this mod manually without the use of my exe file in case you're paranoid like I am smile

• 7 months later...
Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
I'm not sure direct data editing would help you anyway since formulas are used to calculate weight capacity. However, use GREP and just change all occurances of the weight variable in the item definitions to set it to zero.

This is what I did, only I did it just for items that cannot be equipped.