Magical efficiency still not working with certain spells.

EvilEye

I first pointed this out in avernum 5

Here is my post:

Post on ME not working in Avernum 5

Seems to be the exact same problem as before, I edited my ME to 40 and arcane blow still takes 25 energy each time, on the other hand, divine retribution costs 0 each time.

Please fix this, this is a REALLY old bug and I even sent an e-mail about it way back in Avernum 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it isn't about whether Aoe spells are overpowered or not. There is just far too much spell energy for you to use even with the current system.

In the end of my latest Avernum 5 playthrough I had ~50 unused energy potions/elixir without ever buying or making any of them.

Of course, not fixing Magical Efficiency wouldn't really solve the problem. My solutions:

1) Longer dungeons, without energy basins or possibility to retreat to a town to recover your SP; Tower of Zkal FTW

2) More enemies that drain your SP; Mung Demons FTW

3) Much lower amount of base SP; A1-A3 FTW

In my opinion, having basically infinite SP is probably the worst balance problem in Avernum games.

When I beat the game, I had over 60 energy elixers, and over 40 energy potions. I had used several energy potions early on, but I only used one elixer recently while fighting the scourge. WIth my spellcasters, I managed to get their intelligence up to 14 and 15, their ME up to 17 and 20, their spell skill up to 20 and 22, and both of their spellcraft over 20 (thanks to DW). I was blasting eveything with my most powerful spell the entire last battle (those of you who have done it know how long it is), and when it finally ended, my two spellcasters both had around or over half of their spell energy left. And I didn't use a potion the entire fight.

Originally Posted By: Sade
In my opinion, having basically infinite SP is probably the worst balance problem in Avernum games.

Given that offensive magic does less damage (per target) than melee, I don't think this is a problem at all, at least in A6. And the trade-off needed to get a good return out of ME is fairly large -- lots of skill points either directly, or indirectly by choosing NM/PS over another advantage. Certainly, being able to cast buffs without using much SP doesn't unbalance the game.

Nearly infinite healing is a tougher sell, but that's really an issue of game style more than game balance -- gone are the days when you really did need all 99 HEAL potions to make it through Gurgu Volcano. Attrition is out of style, resource management is out of style, and being able to max your HP after every encounter is in style.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Nearly infinite healing is a tougher sell, but that's really an issue of game style more than game balance -- gone are the days when you really did need all 99 HEAL potions to make it through Gurgu Volcano. Attrition is out of style, resource management is out of style, and being able to max your HP after every encounter is in style.

I've played a few games that skip the middle-man and simply fully restore the party's HP and/or SP after every fight. It actually works pretty well, since it means that you can have battles of attrition on a per-fight basis with each fight being a serious test of the party's ability.

Yeah, I don't really think it makes sense to make SP a limited resource anymore than it would to make melee attacks limited. At least, in the kind of system where magic is meant to be constantly used, as opposed to something rare, powerful, and to be used more strategically.

Although I personally haven't had too many problems running out of SP due to this bug (you all know I'd tell you if I did wink ).

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
*nod* Yeah, I was thinking of those as well. It's a good system.

Live-A-Live was a good game. I should replay it with the new translation patch.

I would also pay $$ cash money for a SRPG-style game using 4th Edition D&D rules. Unfortunately the computer game rights for D&D are in legal limbo at the moment.

Live-A-Live is great. The new translation patch is great too, I highly recommend it.

The feudal Japan chapter is one of my favourite segments of any video game ever. Chock full of creativity and variety while all fitting together and having immense replayability -- in some ways it's what I would want a D&D scenario to aspire towards, in a format that fits it perfectly.

And of course, there's Buriki Daioh, about whom I have nothing to say, except maybe that he perfectly encapsulates SoT's point in the other thread that a character can be cool despite being cardboard.

Oh -- and the caveman chapter. Talk about good storytelling. But really,

IMA WA MUKASHI NO BABIRONIA