Playing as Romans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
Geno Geno

New Arrival

• Member ID: 12,862
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:02 AM #1 Playing as Romans

Hi there. I was just wondering if there is any point to having a mage character when you play the Romans?

Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:06 AM #2 Playing as Romans

Yes, definitely.  Magic is very useful.  Roman magic-users have more restrictions on what they can cast than the Celts do, but having magic in your party is still a good thing.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:21 AM #3 Playing as Romans

You can play with an all Roman magic user party and still win.  You just can't use all the spells that the Celts can.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:56 PM #4 Playing as Romans

You can win with a no-magic party, but that's setting yourself up for a serious challenge. The lack of healing alone would make life hard.

—Alorael, who recommends magic from the beginning through the end. You'll have limited spells, but the spells you have will still make a huge difference.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:45 PM #5 Playing as Romans

Roman spell access is rather limited: no Spirit spells, no Nether spells and limited access to Craft and Beast Circles. Last two Circles have access that comes more from scrolls and bracelets. But you do get most healing spells, apart from Total Healing.

Geno Geno

New Arrival

• Member ID: 12,862
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:36 AM #6 Playing as Romans

I decided I am going to have a party made up of 3 fighters and 1 mage. Is this an optimal formation?

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:59 AM #7 Playing as Romans

View PostGeno, on 30 January 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

I decided I am going to have a party made up of 3 fighters and 1 mage. Is this an optimal formation?
That will certainly work. I personally like to have two druids though.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:24 PM #8 Playing as Romans

You can find another Druid in a town later on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users