Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic
sylae sylae

Wisebottom

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio, United States

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:38 AM #71 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere (i don't recall reading about it and a couple Ctrl-F's returned nothing), but do you plan on releasing your source code?

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:38 PM #72 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

I imagine he will. Niemand's site lists the SVN link to the current Editor remake source code.

Rachek Rachek

Citizen

• Member ID: 9,725
  • 32 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:31 PM #73 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

View PostA Closer Yell, on 28 May 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere (i don't recall reading about it and a couple Ctrl-F's returned nothing), but do you plan on releasing your source code?

Once I get it at least marginally working, probably. I'm not using anything proprietary so far so I don't see any reason why not. I'd just rather wait until I've got it working and have cleaned up my experimental and thoroughly spaghetti-ish code before I inflict it on anyone else.

As far as the working bit goes, I'm quite far off from that but definitely chugging along. I just wanted to show what I currently have. I'd let everyone play with it but for the moment it doesn't actually do much and I'm afraid it'd be too disappointing.

Spoiler

That's about it so far. It can fully read a scenario and I have some basic preliminary work on converting the data structures into a format that's more Java-friendly. I just finished the code to let it load graphics, hence the retro background and scenario icon. I'm thinking that next I'll be working on getting it to read the scenario data files and start on the insanity that is custom objects.

It won't be much longer now I'm thinking before I'll get it to the point you can start to play around with it.

Rachek Rachek

Citizen

• 32 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:45 AM #74 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

Sorry for the double post, but I'm not sure if just tacking this onto the end of my previous post would mark the thread as unread and such.

Anyway, just a status update for the skeptics out there. Work is taking up a good majority of my time but things are coming along nicely.

The editor can now import custom and default floors and creatures (ala corescendata.txt) so I've put together the beginning of the town editor. I put together a simple but robust method for handling informational and error messages so you can see a bit into the debug output in this screenshot.

Spoiler

Right now I'm going to work on implementing terrain and item processing, so I can get corescendata2.txt loaded and finish up properly displaying the town. Then maybe editing would even be possible.

I'll keep you updated. Not too much longer now, folks. I'm hoping to get this to the level of the original editor and then go from there. Fortunately I have enough of a framework that most of the remaining core work is essentially copy/paste with some tweaking.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:59 AM #75 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

View PostRachek, on 03 July 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Anyway, just a status update for the skeptics out there.
*waves hand* Hi! That's me!

Good work so far! It looks nice, and I'm hopeful that it will perform nicely when it's done. If it's ever done. I am a skeptic, after all. Anyway, keep it up, and I look forward to the someday maybe release.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

Rachek Rachek

Citizen

• 32 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:54 AM #76 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

View Postξ, on 03 July 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

*waves hand* Hi! That's me!

Oh yes. You're my number one skeptic. Keep it up, by the by. The fact that you consistently point out that you don't think this will happen spurs me to try to prove you wrong. Sort of like constructive criticism, just more pessimistic. =D

Depending on how insane work is I expect I might have something that could be played around with by this weekend. Maybe. It won't be pretty or great but it'd be more substantial than screenshots.

Ishad Nha Ishad Nha

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,773
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:40 PM #77 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

It features a whole new format, that should be interesting to use.

Rachek Rachek

Citizen

• 32 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:52 PM #78 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

Oh, well, bad news. There's probably going to be a bit of a delay. I managed to work a bit too efficiently as a contractor and worked myself out of a job. I've been laid off - just after leasing an apartment and getting into college. So, I'm going to be madly focused for a while on not going massively into debt and maybe, occasionally, eating. To reiterate, I'm not abandoning this or anything, I just need to devote myself completely to getting my affairs in order.

Still, I find working on this entertaining enough that I'll probably work on it regardless. I just can't guarantee anything at this point.

Sorry folks.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:05 PM #79 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

Ah man, don't worry about this. Hope you manage to sort everything out. :)

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:44 PM #80 Modernized, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up scenario editor coming soon. Anyone interested?

And this project begins to go the way of many ambitious BoA projects....

I hope you get on top of stuff soon and my skepticism proves unwarranted.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users