I wish to play in this game in Russia

infom

Well, you can always try emailing them (spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com) and seeing what Jeff has to say; just don't be too disappointed if he says "no".

He did allow a third-party Linux port of one of his games once, though, so I suppose it's not completely out of the question.

I don't think the Linux port makes a good case for allowing more third-party work. It's known for being not so good.

I think Russian localization is unlikely. Even if it is done for free, Jeff is so averse to both potential risks and potential headaches. On the other hand, most of the work is just a matter of editing the scripts and possibly changing the font, which isn't all that hard.

—Alorael, who still think Jeff will say no. He apparently does not like people touching his work.

Quote:
Originally written by upon mars:
Yeah but with the new cold war a long i think it will be difficult.
And those games have an only english version if i am right, russians couldn't play with the same understanding than we do if they don't speak english.
If i offend you by saying this please tell me.
Well, I didn't take offense, but I just wanted to point that I am from Chili (in South America) and here Spanish is the native language. I studied English and have been playing Spiderweb games since the era of the early Exiles and haven't had trouble. I use a dictionary once in a while to check some new verbs, but I have also learnt in a funny and motivating way by playing; so believe me, being British, Canadian or American is not a requirement to fully enjoy these games wink I have even seen some people from Italy and France here.

We probably do miss some cultural jokes or expressions, but that does not make the game less attractive.
Also, I thought "Infom" meant if it was possible to buy the game in Russia(?). Anyways, let's pray for not having to hear again about a new "cold war"...
Saludos amigos.

Quote:
Originally written by The King:
... On the other hand, most of the work is just a matter of editing the scripts and possibly changing the font, which isn't all that hard.
I just checked, and the game's font can't represent Russian characters. So a fan translation isn't going to happen either. (Unless Jeff decides to modify the game to accept Russian characters in scripts.)

Many thanks for answers.

I do not divide your pessimism in occasion of distribution of game to Russia, but I shall not assure without adducing any proof you of success of this game at us in the country. I shall simply connect all my friends. I hope you know that Russia is famous for the hardcore players who with pleasure will play this fine game.

I not bad know English language, and I shall try to play original game.