Who will I be and who will I join?

With eternal respect for all adventurers, I appear out of ether, to ask.

Journey far and long have I, battling for justice, gathering power and allies, but to this "Geneforge IV" I am unfamiliar. Thus I ask.

Many forms I see before me, each caste a potential avatar of my unending adventure. And beyond that, I see many factions vying for my abilities, each attempting to influence my will.

But my future I cannot see. The way is shut, as I have not yet a physical form to force the portal. Which entity am I to embody? Which ways of power shall I wield? Whom shall have my loyalty? Or will I retain my sovereignty, and battle solely for my own gain?

As you have read, eternal adventurers, I need advice. So may these words find you.

Quest on.

If you're asking about which class to choose, that depends on how you want to play. The consensus seems to be that serviles and lifecrafters are the most powerful. The latter are good at making armies and buffing them. The former excel at killing things with pointy objects and explosive magic. Infiltrators are good at many of the same things as serviles, with more emphasis on blowing things up and less on stabbing them.

If you want to know which faction to join, that's really a matter of plot preference. For purely mechanical differences, the rebels give you access to more advanced creations while the shapers give you access to more training in general and probably a little bit more nice stuff. The third faction doesn't seem like it would work well with any shaping character, but I haven't played through it so I don't know.

You can work for both sides fairly well, but the results aren't quite the same and you can't get everything from more than one faction.

—Alorael, who hopes he's answered the question you were trying to ask.

Well spoken, Viy! Exactly the hearty stuffs I search for. After reading your words, I feel drawn towards those who can effectively create life. But which type of life will best aid my efforts? And which skills shall I acquire to assist my minions? Of this I am still uncertain.

My thanks are yours. May the day's light find you well.

Many thanks, Dikiyoba!

So it seems that "Battle Shaping" is out, and "Fire/Magic Shaping" is in. I am now beginning to see my character's future...

I must ponder my choices and continue to weigh my options. Again, thanks to those brave souls who have stepped forth to guide my adventurely pursuits. And if any believe I am lacking other important imput of import, place me in tune.

If you want detailed information with a few spoilers, there's a nice link at the top of the forum.

Other than that, I think this is pretty good and easy on the spoiler:

Quote:
Originally written by Synergy;

So, practically speaking, you will need 8 Mechanics just to do everything in The Forsaken Lands (Chapter 1.) 6 Mechanics is sufficient to do many things there, 7 to do everything but a very few mines. In Burwood Province (Chapter 3), you'll want to bump up to around 10 Mechanics to do most things.

Meanwhile, you will eventually need 7 or 8 Leadership in order to be able to recruit certain help throughout the game.

—Alorael, who thinks that gives you a good idea of how much to spend on the non-combat skills. A few points in luck are useful, but there's no need to go with more than a few. The benefits of putting skill points in shaping skills taper off after you have 10 points and you can get quite a few from items, but as a lifecrafter there's really no reason not to put at least four or five points in. The benefits of magic never end, so feel free to keep boosting your casting skills.

You might want to read some of the character adventures starting with the Saga of the Insidious Infiltrator and Shock Trooper Tales for some ideas.

It comes down to what you like to play for your initial choice. The path of Shaper, Rebel, or the third is more of a moral decision and also has the mercenary out for loot and experience.