Geneforge 5 Hard Crash

gLineage

Fresh download, fresh OS install

Mac OS 10.5.5

Apple PowerBook PowerPC G4 1.67GHz

1.5GB Memory

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700

Geneforge starts, asks for resolution. After selection goes to a black screen for 30 seconds to a minute and then Apple Crash Reporter appears. Selection options do not appear to make any difference. Crash occurs windowed/fullscreen regardless of resolution choice.

I noted that there was another similar crash here: http://www.ironycentral.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=117335#Post117335

Any suggestions? If necessary I will post the complete stack trace generated by the Crash Reporter and my system spec's from there as well.

Originally Posted By: pitchblack
Then is it only the other way around?
I don't use macs, but from what I've hears, the PowerPC versions of earlier games don't run on Intel macs, so I assumed the reverse was true.

What you've heard is wrong.

Programs made only for PowerPC Macs will run on Intel Macs, but more slowly. Programs made only for Intel Macs will not run on PowerPC Macs. Universal binaries will run well on both.

You may be thinking of the Classic/OS X distinction, which is to do with operating systems and not hardware.

Intel-only programs will not run on PowerPC architecture, but since there are plenty of PowerPC Macs still around the popular way to program is Universal, which runs natively on both. PowerPC programs can run on Intel thanks to the built-in Rosetta emulator, but emulation reduces performance.

There are also the OS, not architecture, issues. OS 9 programs do not run natively under OS X, but OS X included Classic, which could more or less run most of OS 9. Support for Classic was dropped with the Intel transition.

—Alorael, who thinks your first post was probably right in reasoning but wrong because G5 is a Universal binary, not Intel-only.