Where is your singleton?

Bryce

I'm wondering what kind of progress the rest of you are making with your singletons.

Mine (Slith Divinely Touched Natural Mage) is level 36, and has been as far as Vahnatai lands. He just got back to the Azure gallery after finally killing Gladwell.

The fight with Gladwell was only a success through a degree of game-mechanical and AI exploitation that can only be characterized as "relentless." (Along with an assault elixer, two invulnerability potions, and several energy potions.)

Has anyone killed Gladwell as a singleton before? It took me quite a while to come up with my solution, and I wonder if anyone came up with something better.

Anyhow, this was my way of killing him:

I used 2 invulnerability potions and an assault elixer, along with lots of fire blast, to survive his shades. Lured Gladwell into the library, where I pecked at him with Smite (the most damaging thing I had against him, interestingly) and then ran into the reading rooms and closed the door when he would summon something. Then I'd wait out the summon and rebuff as needed from the perfect safety of the closed door. It took about half an hour once I had this solution.

Anyway, that was the AI-exploitive part. The mechanically exploitive part is this: when you are terrified (as the geas will do to you when you attack Gladwell), you can still move normally outside of combat mode. So, the trick is to end combat with Gladwell visible, getting the message that it will end at the end of this round. Then whack him a bit. He'll usually terrify you, but since combat has ended and it only lasts for one round, it's almost harmless. Take one step (usually away from Gladwell smile ), and combat will re-begin on your turn, with you not terrified and with full AP for running back into the room and healing with the door closed. (Or, if Gladwell didn't damage you much, repeat until either he does or he summons.)

It is very important that if Gladwell summons, you run into the room and hide. This is because the summon will chase you, and in addition to slowing your retreat back into a book room, it may get too close to the door for you to be able to close it, in which case: reload. Gladwell himself may move closer to the door sometimes, in which case you should attack him from the east (assuming you were using the south-west book room) to draw him away from the book room doors. This didn't happen to me until he was almost dead anyway, though.

The only requirements here are to be faster than Gladwell (to go before him in the round), and durable enough to survive at least one hit from his powerful ranged magic attack. Technically, this latter item isn't a requirement since he doesn't use it every turn, but it would take an agonizing amount of save-reload to do it otherwise. Use prismatic barrier and protection if you need to.

What difficulty level are you playing at?

My singleton game in torment is on hold due to burnout. At 18th level nephil divine touch elite warrior, I reached Harkin's Landing and have done some of the quests there. I did the crypt east of there and worked my way up the coast killing minor things.

I skipped the Fang Clan Test after failing to kill the last nephil. Too tired and lacking in patience to go through the grind.