First aid not working in Howling Depths

mgelman

So I'm fighting my way through the Howling Depths, and suddenly I stop getting first aid after combats. I kill some of the wolves, bat, and their bad guy fellows. But when I finish the combat, I don't get any health/spell points back!

Argh! Why not? Is this a bug?

There do not appear to be any more enemies on the screen. I don't get tossed back into combat. It was working for a while.

--Michael

I am moving or waiting a turn after combat.

I'm killing a couple worgs, a couple of bats, and a couple of guys each time. Seems like a lot to get nothing back. While I'm clearly going to win each fight, I'm taking a bit of damage/spell cost each time.

But other folks are seeing the same behavior?

mgelman, my guess is that was by design. In the first area (right after you cross the Anama gate and it closes behind you), there's a whole ton of Darkside Loyalists who keep popping out of nowhere that are just like any other enemies, giving XP, adding to First Aid recovery totals, dropping all sorts of sellables, etc. But I _think_ there's a finite number of squads, at least when you finally pass that section of the map. However, the Wolfmaster/Batmaster/pets squads that keep assaulting you later on don't provide any XP/First Aid recovery/equipment of any kind, and won't go away until you meet the boss of the area.

IMHO, Jeff made it so you're really supposed to be running for your life through the gauntlet the whole time, which I thought was a refreshingly tense kind of fun when I ran through a couple weeks ago. You can't hang around the Howling Depths and "game" the system for equipment or XP, because the squads'll keep chipping away at you.