Can't register Avernum 3

why hello there

Well, I reinstalled A3 recently, and got a new key for it, and the game itself won't let me register. It accepts the new key, thanking me for supporting shareware and blahblahblah, but when I press "ok" on that dialogue box the game freezes. I can only assume it is freezing upon trying to save my registered status to avernum3.dat because when I restart the game, it's still unregistered. Help!

edit: Oh, what on earth. I open the game one last time to just play through the demo while I sort this out, and it's registered now! Whee.

edit edit: However, it still annoyingly crashes almost every time a dialogue box comes up, including in Settings so I can't even turn off Help so that I could maybe play. Wah.

Glad to hear it got fixed. RW works in mysterious ways.

Edit - RW is not infallable, just ineffable. The standard recommendation at this point is to re-download the game and try a fresh installation. Do the standard removal of the old before injecting the new.

Did this garbage happen only after the registration key was added? Of course that makes no sense unless you are on windows and are trying to write a file to a directory on which you lack proper permission, which would imply work, where you're not supposed to be playing games.

Quote:
Originally written by Bored flak:
Did this garbage happen only after the registration key was added? Of course that makes no sense unless you are on windows and are trying to write a file to a directory on which you lack proper permission, which would imply work, where you're not supposed to be playing games.
No, this happened beforehand, though only once and I thought it was just a one-time thing. It's not work, this is my own computer and I'm the administrator. smile

I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling.

You know, I had a freeze issue with A3 as well. In the end I called it bad luck and deleted it from that computer. It wasn't immediate though, which leads me to think it may be a resource conflict. Let me see, that other computer had 2 USB "removable drive" devices, plus Norton 2005 firewall and Norton Corporate antivirus. AdAware spyware thingy was on it as well.

Anyhow, don't know if my rambles helped at all. Pretty much no one on this forum has any formal relation with the company, we're just other adherents that try to help out initiates. Best of luck, and when all else fails you can now buy Blades of Exile for around fifteen bucks.

Oooh, I'm excited! I clicked the "FAQs" link at the bottom of the page (which seems to be absent on the actual website) and it led me to try turning off sound effects. I turned off all sound just to make damned sure, and it looks like it works! It's a shame, though, I like the Avernum sound effects. But at least I can actually play the game now smile