editor scripts*don't* work

ok,

I have downloaded all the different GIII so called "character editor" scripts, backed up the originals, and copied the ones from here into the scripts folder.

With every single one of the edited versions I continually get the message "talking error: Dialogue script broken or absent."

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, as so many of you have already pointed out that these scripts DO work.

So could some kind soul PLEASE offer some advice as to why they refuse to work for me?

If all else still fails, I offer mine. It's basically a copy of the GF2 GF1 editor script (Croikle's). Only adjustments I did was to remove the quests changing options and check that none of the nodes or nextstates clashed. I put it at Southend in the middle obelisk. The only problem I had with it is that the last option of doing nothing doesn't seem to work. I've no idea why. Everything else goes perfectly though.

Anyway, if theirs don't work, here's this one .

first of all I can't see why it does not work and I am sorry that I don't have anything to say but try re-downloading it but that has been said sorry I didn't see this sooner

And here is why the option leave it does not work

it says

Code:
 begintalknode 192;	state = 6;	personality = 0;	nextstate = -1;	condition = 1;	question = "Leave it.";	text1 = "It folds up remarkably quickly, and in a few seconds it is indistinguishable from a normal obelisk."; 
it should say

Code:
 begintalknode 192;	state = 6;	personality = 0;	nextstate = -1;	condition = 1;	question = "Leave it.";	text1 = "It folds up remarkably quickly, and in a few seconds it is indistinguishable from a normal obelisk.";	action = END_TALK; 

I have problems to get them to work too, have tried the GF2 as well as the GF3 Editor and they do not work for me. Game either crashes or tells me no dialog script present.

Maybe it's a windows specific thing? Me too, I have double checked spelling of the files and followen instructions perfectly.

Any idea?

Are you sure it's the complete script? It's possible that you're missing something essential, like "begintalkscript". Here's what the very beginning should look like:

Code:
// dlg.txtbegintalkscript;variables;begintalknode 1;	state = -1;	nextstate = -1;	condition = 1;	question = "special";	text1 = "The sign says:";	text2 = "  Fort Kentia - West";

I was able to get it to work! Something messes with the file during the download process, because when I copied all of Ulrika's additional script into the original z2southenddlg.txt file after the last line (and changing the first nextstate value to 5), the editor worked correctly. It's quite strange...

Does using the editor have some sort of plot-influencing consequence, by the way?

Also, Ulrika, thanks for all of your effort in trying to help us poor souls who can't get the editor to work, despite the fact that you have had no idea what the problem could be. smile

The main reason that the south end editor does not work is that there are two nodes that have State=5. The game creates the error because it doesnt know which talk node to use. Both nodes with state=5 are right next to each other. Simply change one to another(high) number and the editor should work. I *think* this problem is in the first script concerning the editor, the one that says "Use the editor", though this may be wrong.

On my Geneforge game, I modified the state for the first option ("Leave It") to 110. After that editor works for me. If I want to leave the editor, I enter the editor then choose the exit option.

Look:

Code:
begintalknode 7;	state = 110; //modified by universe_jdj	personality = 0;	nextstate = -1;	condition = 1;	question = "Leave it.";	text1 = "You regretfully walk away, knowing how much power it could give you.";	action = END_TALK;	begintalknode 8;	state = 5;	personality = 0;	nextstate = 6;	condition = 1;	question = "Use the editor.";	text1 = "A panel folds down on the obelisk and list of options glows behind it.";	text2 = "You can change your skills, spells, creations known, and money here, and also add experience.";
After that it worked. Before that I got a dialogue script error message.

Quote:
Originally written by Ulrika Jounintytar:
It doesn't affect the plot in any way. Only you can do that.

Also, I'm sort of glad you got it to work. Editing, cheating should of course be frowned upon, but I'm a hypocrite because I cheat as well. Anyway.. call me Riibu. smile
nothing wrong with cheating smile