Outdoor special encounter

Aran

Special encounter 0 has a group of hostile monsters set. They start at (9, 14), don't move, force the party to fight them right away, and don't allow evasion.

However, when I start the scenario and go to (9, 14), I don't see a trace of my encounter group. I walk just right over that square, and they're nowhere to be seen.

Can someone offer hints?

Edit: Here's a full shot of the encounter settings.

encounter.jpg

State 13 and 14 are implemented, SDF 10 0 is 0.

If I understand what you want to do, you have to use a preset encounter. The special encounters are used for different things. However, as I never used them, I can't say what it actually is they are there for. All I can say is that you'd best look that up in the manual that accompanied the original Editor.

EDIT: according to earlier mentioned manual:

"Special encounters, which are spawned into existance by commands on the outdoor section script."

I don't know if you intnded this to do, but I assume you want a group of monsters, say, guard a specific place like the Senarti fort in WtRM (it's that hill in the water with bare, cavefloors)? In that case, you definetly want to use the preset encounter.

To continue on what Thralni said, there are three types of outdoor encounters. Special, preset, and wandering. For this situation you want preset. Wandering are for-- well wandering monsters, like plagues in A3. Preset and special seem fairly similar, but preset cannot be created from a script, whereas specials MUST be created from a script. If you're ambushing a player or something where you want the group to come out of nowhere, use specials. Technically you could still use your special encounter the same way you would a preset, you just have to place it via script first: use place_out_spec_enc() in the init_state.