Graphics Problem

I've been having problems using the it_icon_adjust and cr_icon_adjust commands. When I try to tint the color of an item or creature nothing happpens. For example, the following custom item:

Begindefineitem 450;

import = 16;

it_full_name = "Salamander Cloak";

it_floor_which_sheet = 1002;

it_floor_which_icon = 5;

it_inventory_icon = 6;

it_special_class = 1;

it_ability_1 = 55;

it_ability_str_1 = 1000;

it_icon_adjust = 128;

Is still purple, not red as should be the case for an icon adjust of 128. I have successfully used other adjustments, such as darkening the graphic or tinting it neutral, but colors don't seem to work. Also, no matter how much fire resistance I give the item (this example has 5000%), the character wearing it still takes damage from fire. Is there any way to grant immunity to fire?

Your problem is, I think, a misunderstanding of what tinting does. It adds red to the graphic, rather than making it red. (At least, that's my understanding.) In this case, you're starting with purple - red and blue in more or less equal proportions. Tinting it red should make it a slightly more reddish purple. The difference might not be noticeable.

Thanks. Is there any way to remove blue from the graphic or do I have to edit the graphic file myself? What editor would you suggest? I tried playing around with the different adjust settings and got a bunch of greens, browns, and purples, but no red. Even taking the green cloak and swapping green and red just gives you purple.

On mac, GraphicConverter lets you do that.

Although it is a little hard to find:

Picture menu -> Colors -> Grayscale -> 16 Grays

(although there are other options for number of grays, I believe this is the best for this situation)

Then:

Picture menu -> Colors -> Grayscale to Red Channel