Shifting Sands?

Is it possible to randomly change the height of outdoor floors (to create a shifting landscape)?

For cosmetic purposes, I wouldn't want to do it to *every* floor tile outdoors, but key ones with autohills on when the outdoor sections initialize might get the right effect...

Question: is it possible?

Please tell me that the terrain will only shift once, and that the height will stay within a very small limit.

Otherwise the effect will be very terrible. And there will be a lot of overhead if you want to change the sand while the player is moving around in the section.

I don't think you can check for if a certain hill was made with autohills on. But, you could manually set the coordinates for the rectangles that the shifting will occur in. Whatever you do, I'm pretty sure you'll need to do some terrain checking and rectangle loops.

All right, here's the deal for all you inquiring minds. I'd like the terrain to shift every time the outdoor section is re-initialized, i.e. when adventurers emerge from a town/dungeon. It would only be certain sections; I want to keep some sections... er... stable, for dungeon entrances, et cetera.

This is going to take plenty of experimenting. I'm gearing up for making the overworld of my scenario... besides this terrain business, I'm looking to absorb plenty of information about wandering monsters, and a night/day cycle for my desert setting.

And regardless of whether you get it to work, you need to be real careful that it doesn't take too long: If I'm reading you right, that's a lot of data for BoA to be working through every time you move into an outdoor section, and some people have pretty slow computers.

You can get away with a lot in an INIT_STATE, though. Loading up new areas feels like it takes a while, so players will sit around for a little bit as it loads if necessary. It doesn't seem that bad if it takes somewhat long to load. START_STATEs are the ones where you have to be careful.