Lockable Objects

Shyguy

I used the lockbox.txt script that shipped with the editor to lock a chest. But when the player unlocks it, the default message that comes up refers to it as unlocking a "door".

It appears this is hard coded into the "run_pick_lock" call that is part of the script. Is there any easy way to chage this, or even better, has anyone written a better script???

Could you do it manually? As in: Find the charater in the party with the highest Tool Use skill, and get the highest quality lockpick they have. Then test the strength of the lock against that character's Tool Use skill plus the Tool Use bonus of the lockpick. It's hacky and annoying, but it could work... right? smile

I haven't tested this at all, but it seems like all you have to do is replace the line

Code:
 if (run_pick_lock(get_mechanism_difficulty) == FALSE) { 
with

Code:
 reset_dialog_preset_options(10);choice = run_dialog(1);if (choice == 2) {if (get_stat(char_with_highest_skill(15)),15) < get_mechanism_difficulty()) { 
However, that doesn't take into account lockpicks, as far as I can tell. You may have to check for that manually with a char_has_item call, since I don't see a char_has_item_with_ability call or anything approaching that.

Depends. I haven't tried with this script, but with some of the scripts you can just openb it up and edit the text it displays. For example...

The special magic door one, the one that says all about the enchantment that you have to destroy before you can tackle the door... I've edited it to make it say something totally different in my new scenario. All you have to do is edit the text.

Perhaps it works the same for this script?