Prophetic Names for NPCs

*Rant Mode: On* I just love how characters in Video Games, Movies, Books, etc. will often have names that give hints as to who they are or what they do. Because, you know, Mom and Dad would be looking at their newborn baby, and one would say to the other, "You know dear, he looks like he'll be a Necromancer some day. Let's name him Necaros!"

Or maybe, "He seems like a loner, honey. I think we should call him Purgatos!" *Rant Mode: Off*

Yeah, not trying to make fun of anyone (like Jeff or J.K. Rowling), but I find it somewhat humorous when characters have names that describe them in adulthood. Especially when said name is their real, honest, legal, given name and not some kind of taken-for-granted nickname.

Any other ironic, too-true names you've seen in Avernum you want to share? I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of them.

Edit: And how about the Island of Bigail? With the roaches all over it, spreading filth and disease, anyone living there experiences a Big Ailment! Ba bum Ksh!

The fact that there are necromancers named Necros is a theatrical effect. In games where the backstory of these characters is not inspected with great detail, I'm leaning towards the idea that rather than being the effect of nominative determinism, it is in fact the choice on the author's part to give them a relevant name. For example:

Dialog 1 (Casually named necromancer): "Bob has lived on Cemetery Hill ever since his wife died."

Dialog 2 (Theatrically named): "Necros has lived on Cemetery Hill ever since his wife died."

See how "Bob" is quite disruptive to the building of suspense, while "Necros" makes it quite clear what's going to happen?