Avernum 1 Spell Book/Trainer Locations

I recently downloaded this game and started playing -- so far it rocks! The problem is, I am confused on where to get upgrades to the spells as I was really starting to struggle with level 1 spells versus some encounters. madconfused

Does anybody have a list or known of one online that includes where to get spell upgrades? Is this something included in the hint book you can buy?

I definitely am going to register this game and hopefully get the sequels (depending on my available time to play... frown )!!!

Thank you in advance for any help any of you can provide.

The hintbook says which town all the level 3 spells are in and gives some hints on where to buy level 2 spells. There was once a website with all you'd ever need to know, but it's sadly defunct now.

—Alorael, who would start looking for spells in Formello. Once you register, the Tower of Magi is another good place for expensive bargain hunting.

for buying spells, large towns are mostly the best place to look.

for level 3 spells, complete quests (of which none are available in the demo, i think) and search dungeons.

just playing through everything, and doing all you can do, is the better way to grow strong little magicians, imo. replaying something written in some faq to get a spell is ineffective and boring.

formello really is the first place to go, though.