GF2-I followers and NPCs (Zora, Thahd, Xander etc)

I would like to have a thread to discuss the individual followers and their merits. 

Pre-Tunnel:

Zora is an absolute must. I miss her ability in every battle. Also, even if you don't boost her and leave her at level 4 with all stats at 1, she is "free essence" so she really costs you nothing. You could have her in the back and just get the roar. It's not like you would reach 7 creations before she leaves. 

The Abandoned Thahd is a kinda pathetic level 3. Really not useful for much, at least for a Shaper. Even as a Fire-oriented Shaper, I could make better thahds. It is essence-free but pretty useless, unless you boost it, and even then, it's still a low-ish level thahd.  

Post-Tunnel: 

Xander (Edit): Xander is level 12, decent hp (150) mage with a little fire resistance (20%). He can use a quick-shot spell once per three turns and has searer as a default ranged attack. 
Apparently (probably bug) he can also cast searer as an ability that recharges every 3 turns, but he doesn't have to. At the time I found Xander, I was level 9 and all my creations were level 13. He is not bad, certainly not worthless since he is free. 

Feeling that Xander's two searers were a mistake, I gave him essence lances instead of the second searer attack, leaving searer as his default ranged attack. He is a little better than my Fyora. Certainly not impressive. 

Does Xander has any dialogues? Does he leave the party like Zora and the Thahd at some point or you leave him behind when he becomes too low level? 

Pre-Edit:

Update: I was a fool, I forgot to check the "ranged" box. Apparently Xander can fire searer normally -and- as a special power. Probably a bug.
Xander is level 12, decent hp (150) mage with a little fire resistance (20%). I found him at level 9 and he is level 12. I am... not impressed. Sure, he can cast Searer and that quick-shot spell but that's once per 3 turns! other than that, he would have to rely on punches... 😕 
Add to that, that all my creations are 13 level. He is not bad level-wise and he has more hp than my 13-level Fyora (although less than my Drayks and Rotghroth) - but his ranged potential is limited and his melee attacks are weak - not to mention he's not build to last in melee with 5% armor and 150 hp.  

Do I miss something here? 
Is Xander somehow "upgradable"? (If not, I can take care of that... :/ ) Does Xander has any dialogues? Does he leave the party like Zora and the Thahd at some point or you leave him behind when he becomes too low level? 

I remember X from the O-GF2 and I kept him for some time as he was not bad; he was leveling up.

Edited by alhoon