G2 Mod: Accurate Tooltips

Here's a tiny mod.

This very simple mod corrects inaccurate and/or misleading skill/ability tooltips in the game.  Some of these are minor clarifications, but some of them correct statements that were completely wrong.

The corrected tooltips all appear when you hover on one of three screens:

- Player stats/skills

- Creation stats/skills

- Player spell/weapon shaping skill levels

To install:

1) Close the game.  Locate your G2 "Scripts" folder.  Sample path might look something like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Geneforge 2 - Infestation\Geneforge 2 Infestation Files\Scripts

2) Back up the folder.

3) Download this file and put it in the folder, replacing the existing version.

Start up the game and you should see the fixed tooltips.

Please let's try to keep mod threads on the topic of the one specific mod, so they don't become confusing when other players are looking for a mod.  Thanks.

text1skills.txt

Yes!  This only changes one file and the update didn't touch it.

The update did actually add skill-based damage increases for Searer and Chain Lightning, which is missing from those tooltips.  It sounds like Jeff is planning some more changes (and possibly updating his own tooltips) so I'm going to wait and see what happens before updating this mod again.

17 minutes ago, Slarzahl said:

The update did actually add skill-based damage increases for Searer and Chain Lightning, which is missing from those tooltips.  It sounds like Jeff is planning some more changes (and possibly updating his own tooltips) so I'm going to wait and see what happens before updating this mod again.

Good to hear - sounds like Jeff did in fact want to make some changes after reviewing those skills after all! It did seem odd to me that subsequent levels in a few skills were so lackluster, as I think (?) is still the case with a few of the Weapon Shaping skills. Will be interesting to see whether he tweaks more in 1.0.2, though I'll probably be too impatient to wait for that patch before I do a full playthrough.

Lol... in this case (referring only to the result, and not the method...), given it turns out some skills may in fact be wonky, agree to disagree! Glad he was allowed a chance to review and make his own call. Though I do demand 1.0.2 be released by the end of the week, and the G3 remaster by April 30 at the latest. Being totally reasonable here. Totally.

Edited by mikeprichard

Haha.  A few skills have been wonky like that in every Spiderweb game going back forever.  Just like they were in every classic RPG back in the day.  I dunno, I guess my perspective here is colored by the conversations we used to have here about truly, utterly broken stuff - G2 parry, G3 vlish, G4 mac drayk physical breath, G5 class resists, A4 divinely touched, Av2 turrets, Av3 charged attack.  (All of which were widely discussed and never changed.)  So the wonkiness, I guess, feels pretty minor to me.  I hate players being unintentionally misled, but I don't actually expect every last option the game gives you to be a useful one.

True. It's very often a fine line (or at least a line difficult to determine as a player) between "bug" and "design decision", and while Jeff is a GOAT dev, UI is arguably not his focus/strong suit. But to your underlying point, I appreciate this mod, because - as is obvious from my nitpicky posts over the years - I really like to know what's actually going on with the game mechanics, whatever they may be.

Related mod request/suggestion - the "text13abildesc.txt" file may also benefit from the same treatment. I've only just started my playthrough, but I immediately noticed the example of the War Blessing description: to be fully accurate, "All nearby allies will do more damage with attacks for a while." should also mention the increase in the chance to hit. Just a thought!

EDIT: Also, a nitpick re: the Mindshield description in "text1skills.txt": "with" should be deleted in "Grants all nearby allies with resistance to mental attacks."

Edited by mikeprichard

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Hi Slarty - in addition to the improvements to Searer and Chain Lightning Jeff made in v.1.0.1, it seems he may have fixed the behavior of a few more skills in v1.0.2 - particularly War Infusion/Guardian Push/Lifedrain and maybe others - to make additional skill levels after the first actually have (more than miniscule) increased benefits. Unless I'm confusing my files, he may have even incorporated at least some of your mod edits; e.g., the Searer 1.0.2 vanilla description now specifies "(or acid with two points of this skill)" instead of the 1.0.0/1.0.1 vanilla description "(or acid at higher skill levels)".

I'm guessing you're busy reviewing the many changes Jeff made in 1.0.1/1.0.2 in general and as they may impact other mods, but do you plan to update this mod as well at some point? The mod itself is helpful not only for accuracy/clarity in the descriptions, but also for insight into other changes he may have snuck in per your usual thorough research. Cheers.

Edited by mikeprichard

Jeff asked me to send him a simpler set of modified tooltips.  He used a couple of them.  I am happy that at least mental magic and blessing magic now say "duration" rather than "effect."

This will get updated after Overrun, and it will probably just use Overrun style tooltips rather than the base game's style.  Since Jeff seems to be vaguely threatening a v103, I also might wait to see whether or not that materializes rather than needing to update it twice.

Posted (edited)

It's nice that he made some tweaks, and yeah, from the Steam discussions, it does seem a 1.0.3 may be possible at some point. Anyway, sounds good - thanks!

EDIT: Jeff's blessing/mental magic tooltips in 1.0.2 still say "effect" instead of "duration", unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Edited by mikeprichard