Geneforge 2 - animations skipping frames, problems with setting proper resolution

Graphics are choppy, animations often skip frames, hero often "jumps" betwen places instead of walking, game generally is not smooth (even while in main menu). I am playing on 2k-4k resolution on 4k monitor, RTX 3080. I can play only in windowed mode as fullscreen initially flashes some enlarged images but then hides game window.

Affter changing game resolution few times, game graphics became stuck on certain size. Game windows resizes properly but the graphic content it shows does not - there are big black borders around the "canvas". How to change this?

Turning off gameplay sounds seems make game run smoother a liite bit. Changing graphic settings from "Draw all graphics" to "Partial" or "Minimum" seems not to change anything. Same for "Graphic Extra Detail" setting.

Sound volume for levels 2-6 is the same, which means that effectively there are 3 levels: no sound (setting 0/6), quiet sound (1/6), loud sound (2-6/6).

My environment: Windows 11, Ryzen 1800X, 64 GB RAM, RTX 3080, 4k monitor, SSD. Game bought on Steam.

Edited by Grzegorz Kowalski

Hello Grzegorz,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having graphics and sound problems with Infestation!

So far as I’m aware, this problem hasn’t been reported before. This means it’s a new issue for us, so I don’t immediately have a fix for you. There are a number of possible causes: perhaps a conflict with another program running on your system, or something special with your particular setup, or something odd happening with the Steam overlay.

What I’d like to suggest at this stage is that you contact Spiderweb’s support directly. Since the game has just been released, the developer is still very actively keeping tabs on what’s going on, and will be fixing issues when they come in. If you report your problems to him, he may be able to come up with a fix for you directly! You’ll be helping get the game working properly on your system, and helping out any other players who might be experiencing the same problem as you. It’s a win-win! If a fix is found, it may be bundled into an update, v1.0.1, that will appear at some point soon after this first release.

You can contact Spiderweb support at the email address below:

support@spiderwebsoftware.com

Explain your problems clearly, and give as much information as you can: what you wrote in this thread should be good enough. With luck, the developer may be able to help you, and help you experience Drypeak in all it’s glory!

So far as I’m aware, this problem hasn’t been reported before.

I've looked at problems reported for previous Geneforge games and a lot of similar problems were reported (jerky animations, sounds etc.). It seems to me that it's something wrong with game engine as it is going many years back.

Also yesterday someone described the same problem on Steam discussion page:

I launched the game first time 3840x2160, windowed, didn't change the game size setting in-game. It looked good and took up the whole screen

Then I closed and re-opened the game but unticked the windowed option. The game screen was only taking up about 40% of the monitor so I changed it to "whole window" in game but it only went to about 50% of the screen size.

I went back to windowed 4k and now, no matter what I select, it won't draw the game on the whole area again. I can just go back to a lower resolution but, is this a bug?

1 hour ago, Grzegorz Kowalski said:

I've looked at problems reported for previous Geneforge games and a lot of similar problems were reported (jerky animations, sounds etc.). It seems to me that it's something wrong with game engine as it is going many years back.

The game engine doesn't go back that many years.  The original Geneforge games were published in 2001 to 2008 (and that engine underwent some pretty drastic changes throughout).  The two recent games (2021, 2024) are remasters of the original series with a completely different engine, and the only two games published with this new engine.

I have seen plenty of weird resolution issues, letterboxing, etc., but few if any reports of jerky stuttering graphics and sound -- for the Geneforge remasters.  What you are probably finding when you google are problems reported for the original series being played on modern systems -- there have been tons of those.  The first few of the series in particular run into some crazy problems with jerky animations and stuttering when played on machines with operating systems that came out 15+ years after they did.  If you play them on an XP machine, that doesn't happen.

A few thoughts:

- Your CPU was relased in 2017.  That's not recent.  That's not necessarily the issue -- my CPU is also from 2017 and I have had no such issues.  But if you have a massive amount of stuff going on in the background, that could be contributing.

- You're on Windows 11.  One of the things that popped up googling it was that your CPU doesn't support Windows 11.  Maybe that's irrelevant, but it's hard to say.

- Two quick suggestions for more data: 1) try running with the Steam overlay turned off and see if anything changes; 2) open Task Manager while the game is running and choppy, and view the first tab sorted 3 different ways, by GPU, CPU, and Memory.  If any of those are unusually high, that's plausibly your problem.  And if a lot of the activity is coming from something besides Geneforge, try closing or disabling those things, relaunching Geneforge and seeing if things are better.  Feel free to share screenshots if you're not sure what to do with the numbers.

- Also, since turning sound off helps more than turning graphics down, maybe you're having a weird audio issue.  Do you have any kind of unusual audio setup going on, either in terms of software or hardware?

Slarti makes some very good suggestions here, Grzegorz, and I would thoroughly suggest experimenting with them. He’s good at dealing with issues, and he really knows what he’s talking about!

I would also strongly suggest that you submit a report to Spiderweb’s support address too, as I suggested in my first message. If it’s a problem on the engine side, it can only really be fixed if it’s reported. The testing team does what it can to fix all problems before release, but there will always be a few odd things that we simply can’t catch. With the much wider pool of users that start playing when a game is released, rare bugs that appear only in certain situations – and didn't manifest for the testing team – will inevitably appear.

That’s why we keep a good lookout on emerging bugs at the moment of release. The developer is – right now – working hard on various issues, and you have a very real opportunity to get your issue looked at as well. The best way you can do that is to report it, in as much detail as you can, to the support address. This will ensure that the developer sees your problem, and he will then do what he can to fix it. And the earlier you do that, the better, because that makes it more likely that the issue can be looked at properly, and make it into any future versions!

Just as a reminder, here’s the address!

support@spiderwebsoftware.com

I was able to bypass problems with graphics by using Loseless Scaling app. This app works like magic!! It allows to make Geneforge 2 window (or any other windowed game) to be scaled to the native monitor resolution (4K in my case) AND have framerate increased to 200%! I've chosen scaling algorithm AMD FSR and frame generation algorithm LSFG with WGC capture API and enabled double buffering - the game works great. Framerate in menu jumped from 33fps to 64fps and while in game framerate goes to 103fps!

Amazing! The app costs around 6 USD but it's worth it.