Closing doors

Hey all. I have been playing the Exile games for some time now, and had only recentely bought the Avernum games. I noticed one thing, that you can double-rightclick the doors, to close them again. Does this have any use for theft and such? n Exile, you couldn't reclose doors, and theft just had to be far enough away from someone. It seems like if you steal something in a room with a closed door, your chances of being caught would be less, but does this happen? Or is closing doors just to make everything seem more realistic?

If they see you, they'll go through doors to get to you. Opening a door isn't an action, though, so if you open one and see a bunch of enemies, immediately closing the door often means they'll still just stand around and wait for you to cast Beast Ceremony and use the combat-wait-attack trick.

—Alorael, who believes doors were closable in Exile as well as Avernum. If you look at a door adjacent to a party member (the active one in Exile), the door opens or closes. E1 didn't have openable or closable doors.

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
I swear in BoE a monster came through an imprenetrable door to get me. I don't remember how or why, but I distinctly remember the door opening.
It was probably a door with a Can't Enter node placed on it, not a real impenetrable door. Monsters can't open locked doors.