Still playing in 2023! Stuck on a couple scenarios

xenogears

Thanks to the diligent work of the forum community here, I was able to get Blades of Exile running on Windows 10! I decided to boot up a few of the highly-rated scenarios I never got a chance to play, Chains and Shadow of the Stranger, which have both been great so far. However, they also each have me stumped at different parts! I know it's a bit of a longshot seeking help on these scenarios nearly two decades after their release, but I figured I might as well ask.

In Chains, I'm quite stuck during the sequence where you have to find evidence against Linda. I found Zankozzie and received his upgraded Piercing Crystal, which I assume is meant to be used on the red barrier in Fedoric's room, but I can't figure out how to use it. Zankozzie said to "place it on the barrier and break it," but dropping it on the barrier tile doesn't avail me. My other current leads are

* find Linda's contract (hoped it would be on or around her parents' graves in the Avendale memorial, but no such luck)

* the password-protected painting in Linda's room (no clue)

* Vark will help me find Zephirius' disciple if I can find a piece of his clothing (where could that be?)

* rumors of Linda passing through a wall in the northwest when wearing a special robe - found the building, but can't get in

* a coordinate-based portal in the southwest of town, which I obtained permission to use, but says there's "no reason to enter it" when I use it.

Quite a complicated sequence. I don't know if anyone recalls the progression here.

For Shadow of the Stranger, it's much simpler. I just reached Chapter Two, and was told to go to the brotherhood outpost in the mountains before I talk to Gwennyth. When I go there, I find a rather devious puzzle - an endless corridor in the west, and a stalagmite with a hidden button. Pressing the button doesn't do anything obvious that I can see. As I head up the corridor in the west, stepping on one of the tiles gives the message "Click", which seems to reset the button on the stalagmite. But no combination of the two seems to let me get past the endless hallway, and there aren't any secret passages around that I can find. I'm quite stuck on this one.

I recall reading that there were walkthrough files for both of these scenarios, but they may have been hosted on a now-defunct site, as the scenario folders didn't include them. Any help is much appreciated. (Although, of course, I know it's a bit of a stretch. :p)

Hello, regarding Shadow of the Stranger, look for hidden passages in the two walls: normally when when you step on the 4x14 square a message is displayed the first time:

Something seems strange about this passage.  You don't seem to be getting anywhere. 

If you are in 4x14 and you pressed the hidden stalagmite button, there must be secret passages ( not sure, but I think you can go to safety W, N, NE, N, NE, NW, ... ).

Note: If a click message appears, I think we have to start all over again: stalagmite, ...

Edited by osnola

Concerning Chains, I just looked at the scenario code:

I found Zankozzie and received his upgraded Piercing Crystal, which I assume is meant to be used on the red barrier in Fedoric's room,...

normally the special at 53x62 in Over Harker looks at whether the Enhanced Crystal Piercing is dropped on the special barrier tile (53x62). So I guess you have to drop it there and then try to look at or use the special barrier tile to activate this special...

the password-protected painting in Linda's room (no clue)

Spoiler

Look for a clue in the same room

Vark will help me find Zephirius' disciple if I can find a piece of his clothing (where could that be?)

Spoiler

You must obtain the Tattered Robes which can be found in the Zephrius Room at Avondale Memorial.

* find Linda's contract (hoped it would be on or around her parents' graves in the Avendale memorial, but no such luck)

* rumors of Linda passing through a wall in the northwest when wearing a special robe - found the building, but can't get in

Normally, you will find the contract/special robe a little later.

* a coordinate-based portal in the southwest of town, which I obtained permission to use, but says there's "no reason to enter it" when I use it.

You will need to use it much later.

Spoiler

It will be necessary to indicate the coordinates of a particular point: 8.6

Edited by osnola
add spoilers

Thank you, osnola! With your help, I was able to figure out the puzzle in Shadow of the Stranger. I didn't realize that just bumping into the walls could also trigger the click that resets your progress.

It sounds like you were able to open up these scenarios in the editor. I'm curious how you managed it! When I try to open them, I get a password prompt.

7 hours ago, xenogears said:

It sounds like you were able to open up these scenarios in the editor. I'm curious how you managed it! When I try to open them, I get a password prompt.

I use the new version of BOE https://github.com/calref/cboe which allows to import old scenarios ( without checking the password ) or rather a personal version which I modified a lot. But I believe (to be checked) that the editor of Blades of Avernum does the same thing.

Just as a note, I also have a piece of code that allows me to retrieve the password of a scenario; I sometimes use it to reopen a scenario in the old editor and check that BOE didn't make a mistake when importing a scenario.