QW2 - daft question: how do I sell surplus items? [SOLVED]

Xela

I can't work out how to sell my junk to merchants in QW2. Buying stuff from them seems pretty easy, but they're very cagey about buying stuff from me.

I can't even work out how to drop my junk and just eat the loss, either. I could drop my surplus junk into every container I pass, but that seems unhelpful. I'd rather just have the cash.

As a result, my inventory is getting parlously full, and juggling items between party members will soon stop working as none of them will have any spare room. (I tried clicking on a surplus item to make it wiggle, just as I would if passing it aroung the party like a hot potato, then tried clicking on the merchant's wares board on the right of the screen, and also directly on the merchant, but neither approach caused an exchange of goods for moolah.)

The "Shopping and Selling" section in the instruction manual says only that one may choose to buy items from shopkeepers, but mentions nothing about selling to the shopkeepers despite the word "Selling" in the section name.

The "Dialogue" section says that one can also buy and sell items by talking to the right people, but says nothing about the exact mechanism by which one may do so (click? drag? press a key on the keyboard? sacrifice a passing civilian?)

The hint book does not appear to contain any variants of the word "sell", at least from a quick Ctrl-F search of it; I don't want to read it cover-to-cover yet lest it spoil some of the game.

So, what is the sorcery required to flog the rubbish I no longer want to haul around?

Edited by Xela
Answer kindly provided by another forum member

In a fort, the smithy and carpenter shops are the only ones that have an option to sell stuff. Some town merchants will also have one when you ask about trade.

In the sell menu your screen will show a character inventory with prices for stuff they will buy at 20% of value.

15 hours ago, Randomizer said:

In a fort, the smithy and carpenter shops are the only ones that have an option to sell stuff. Some town merchants will also have one when you ask about trade.

In the sell menu your screen will show a character inventory with prices for stuff they will buy at 20% of value.

D'oh! Colour me stupid. I hadn't twigged that only some merchants were enabled for selling. I must have overlooked some blindingly-obvious piece of documentation. My bad.

That sorted it out; I flogged my junk to the local carpenter in my fort, and can go out and hoover up some more.

Thanks for the pointer!

• Xela changed the title to QW2 - daft question: how do I sell surplus items? [SOLVED]