Save function is broken in Geneforge 1: Mutagen on Epic Games

Biggus

1. Geneforge 1: Mutagen

2. Windows

3. Epic Games

4. Not a graphics issue

5. No mods, no edits.

I have rebooted, uninstalled, and reinstalled. I reported the problem in the Geneforge 1 - Mutagen forum.

The error message when trying to save is "Couldn't open the header file."

I am unable to save at all after entering the second town. The game quicksaves when I move from the first town to the second town, but after that it won't quicksave a second time, so my progress is locked.

Hello Biggus,

Sorry not to reply to your posts about this issue right away! I’m sorry to hear that you've been having problems with Mutagen. I hope we’ll be able to come up with a solution for you!

From what you’ve said about this problem, and the similar issues reported by barak302 and CafeSpy recently, it’s possible there’s some sort of conflict that’s preventing the proper saving and loading of Mutagen saved games on some systems. This sort of behaviour wasn’t observed during the game’s extensive testing period, and it seems to be something relatively new. This could mean that the problem is due to a conflict with recent OS updates, or updates to other software that happens to be used by all three of you. As you suggested in a previous thread, it may be something to do with virus-protection software.

Alternatively, there may be some problem with the way Epic Games is hosting the Mutagen package. Spiderweb is relatively new to the Epic Games Store, and while the game packages on there will have gone through diligent hands of Spiderweb’s testing team, it’s possible there’s an issue there that’s slipped through the net. This is a relatively new venture for Spiderweb, so not every issue connected to the Epic Store may have been found yet.

As you can probably see, I’m being a little vague about the causes here. Finding the cause could be half the battle here!

This is obviously a nasty problem, and I think it’s worth going straight to the top on this one. The best person to deal with this is the developer of these games, Jeff Vogel. Could I please encourage you to write to him at the address below, including all the information you’ve written about here, including the point about the quicksave, and your ideas about virus-protection conflicts:

support@spiderwebsoftware.com

Jeff is usually very good about getting back to people about support problems, particularly when they’re this serious in nature. I think bringing this to his attention is the best chance of getting this fixed quickly!

In the meantime, I’ll do some digging and see if I can’t come up with something myself. I think Jeff is by far your best bet here, but I’ll see what I can do!

22 hours ago, Ess-Eschas said:

Hello Biggus,

In the meantime, I’ll do some digging and see if I can’t come up with something myself. I think Jeff is by far your best bet here, but I’ll see what I can do!

I figured I'd try one more thing before asking Jeff. I usually install games on E: because it has more space. When the game didn't work at first I uninstalled and reinstalled on C but that didn't work. When whitelisting seemed to work, I uninstalled again and reinstalled on E:.

Today I uninstalled and reinstalled on C. That seems to have fixed the problem.

My guess is that the game uses an incomplete path to the "header" file so sometimes it looks on the wrong drive. This problem and the anti-virus problem would both be solved by using the same path for data and executables. There's no need to use My Documents.