Avadon 1 Steam Version Crashing on Save

Jewels

That's how it started anyway, then I read something about the save files needing HD room and it was plausible I didn't have enough, so I found the folder they were in and deleted the older ones, but now the Load Game screen shows no saved games even though I left four there...

Sadness... 

So I guess the questions are:
1. Are there documented reasons that Avadon 1 crashes when saving? And is having little extra HD space on the C drive the likely culprit? PC says I have 21GB free but I'm not sure if there are any restrictions in the settings.
2. Might it be related to having the game itself saved on and launched from the D drive?

3. Why did deleting some of the saves make all of the saves disappear? And is there a way to restore them?

Thanks much for any assistance. I'd really rather not start over if possible.

(Disclaimer that I'm writing all this as a Windows user, and I don't know how much of this applies to the Mac or Linux versions of Avadon.)

1. Avadon's saves shouldn't take up all that much space- with every slot occupied, my saves take up about 300MB of space. I doubt that's the problem here, if it's saving to C.

2. Probably not- on Windows, at least, the game defaults to saving to a subfolder in the Documents folder, which should be on the Windows install drive, regardless of where the game's installed. On Mac or Linux, I don't know.

3. I believe the game wants "Save0" "Save1" "Save2" etc subfolders (up to "Save19") in its saves folder, even if those folders are empty. It definitely creates these empty folders before actually saving anything into them. Deleting those folders may well have confused the game, and recreating them might let you restore the saves that are still there.

If that doesn't work, you should probably email the Spiderweb support address and see if they can do anything for you.

Thanks for the suggest, it didn't work but I think I figured it out.

Recreating the folders in C:\Users\traci\Documents\Spiderweb Software\Avadon Saved Games\ did not work (because I forgot Save0), so I started a new game to see what would happen when I saved it. 

It didn't change the folders/files on the C drive at all. It actually created files on the D drive in D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Avadon The Black Fortress\Avadon Files. no folders, just the files Save0data, Save0header, Save0items, Save0journal. I took the saved files from the C drive and moved them to the D drive and changed their name to match. Viola! Saved game restored.

I'm guessing that the original problem of the game crashing on save may have happened because I started with the game on the C drive and had steam move it to the D drive after the game had already started saving things to the C drive. And maybe not, but I'm not going to complain.

Thanks. :)