Geneforge 1 demanding to make changes in order to be played

WolfSpider

What sort of changes and why?  Some games will have a box pop up and you can choose "yes" or "no" or press the X at the top right corner.  Most games will allow you to still play if you click that X, but Geneforge 1 will not.  And Geneforge 1 did not use to ask for this permission to begin with about a year ago.  I have Windows 10 and Steam.  Geneforege 2 does not ask for it and neither does Nethergate, so why all of a sudden is Geneforge 1 and again what does it need it for?  It also says Publisher is unknown.  I may of asked this during one of my other quests to make the sound better than what it is, but when using the search function, I could not find it.  Thank you.

It's probably permission to write to where save game files are stored.

Geneforge doesn't actually ask you that itself, by the way -- the box you see is either from Windows Defender or your antivirus software, which jumps in to double check when an app requires write permission to a sensitive area.  Geneforge 1 is old enough that it may still have been dropping saved games in the system folder somewhere, rather than in a user folder, which could be why you don't see this with the others.  (Nethergate is older still, and still used individual save files rather than save slots.)

Thank you.  Something had to of changed though, as Geneforge 1 did not do this a year or two ago.  Not sure if on my part or Geneforge 1 specifically, as the other two games mentioned do not ask for the same permission.  Perhaps I should completely delete all files of Geneforge 1 and reinstall.

Edited by WolfSpider

Possibly/probably asking to change the resolution on your monitor.  I know when I play some older games on my newer system (W10) with a higher resolution monitor that I get a popup asking for permission to change things. Invariably it's just to change the resolution back down to what was more common 15-20 years ago.

3 hours ago, TriRodent said:

Possibly/probably asking to change the resolution on your monitor.  I know when I play some older games on my newer system (W10) with a higher resolution monitor that I get a popup asking for permission to change things. Invariably it's just to change the resolution back down to what was more common 15-20 years ago.

Why isn't it asking directly just for that then?  That sounds innocent enough.  Just giving control over for no reason and then failing to play does not.  I mean if anything, let the game start and I can change the settings myself.