Bulky items percentage

This is a difficult thing for me to understand. Through Avernum and Avadon games I couldn't find an exact relation between, say, a total -50% to hit caused by wearing different bulky items compared to the times the character actually misses his/her stikes. I noticed the missing percentage is lower, the lesser when the character gets more expertize. Maybe the bulky percentage is reduced by higher levels of specific traits and abilities? I for sure try to favor non bulky items, but indeed some of them are useful top weapons, so this is the reason of the question: should I worry a bit less and try to wear more of them? Sorry for my English language.

Basically, all the bonuses and penalties from different sources (your stats, the enemy's stats, buffs/debuffs and equipment) are added together to calculate your chance to hit. But after that's been done, hit chance is capped at a maximum of 90% or a minimum of 20%. So if your stats are high enough, your hit chance can still be 90% even with all the hit penalties from the equipment you're wearing. As long as that's the case, the penalties don't matter.

To give you an example, if your hit chance against a particular enemy is 80% and you wear an item with a 20% penalty, then you'll have a 60% chance to hit after wearing it. But if your hit chance is calculated at 120% and you wear the same item with a 20% penalty, your actual hit chance will still be 90% with or without the item, since that's the limit.