A coding project

Prince of Kitties

Yesterday I decided to fork the old, unmaintainted Blackbox window manager. Here is the project on Gitorious:

https://gitorious.org/whackbox

So far I've gotten it to compile and run successfully with -Werror -Wall. Which is not really saying much.

But now that it compiles cleanly, I'm looking for features to add. There are a couple (scrolling virtual desktops and Ratpoison-style keybindings) that are definitely on my agenda, but I'm not sure what else. A more convenient way of launching programs, maybe?

Any ideas before I start delving into the code again? I know there are at least a few Linux users here... :) I'm hoping to start with simpler ideas first, and eventually start implementing more complex ones.

That could be a fun project, but what is this window manager's special thing that makes you want to revive it? I know most of the niche ones exist for some particular design or philosophy (e.g. Xmonad), and Wikipedia says Blackbox has "particular design goals", but not what they are. Why a stacking WM, and why this one?

Hmm. Good question. I'm not really sure. I chose a stacking WM because tiling WMs are problematic for me in a lot of ways; otherwise there's no particular goal, or reason for me to use Blackbox as a base. Which come to think of it may not be a good thing.

I will say that I'm aiming roughly for something in a weird area between Ratpoison, Fvwm, and Fluxbox, i.e.

- Stacking window management

- Simple to configure

- Supporting several different use patterns

- Reasonable default configuration

- Supporting keybindings in a way that prevents clobbering

I'm interested in borrowing a bunch of features from Fvwm's set, but I'm not sure which ones would make the most sense.

(Thanks for getting my to clarify this BTW, that was helpful.)

Edit: actually come to think of it I have a good reason for using Blackbox: it is by far the fastest window manager I know of.

(Whether it will still be when I'm done with it is of course an open question.)