Starting G2 as a Guardian?

1. from Matt P's FAQ:

A Guardian tip from Scales: Here's another small tidbit on playing as a Guardian. Spend all your initial points on parry and quick action. This maximizes the bonus Shanti gives you and makes the first half of the game really, really easy (I play on torment).

I looked at the chargen screen and IF the bonus affects training (can only train once after) not spending the points will save 3 points from training + 3 points from the bonus itself. If the bonus has no effect on training, I can train both twice for 8 + 3 points saved. If I spend the points to bump both the highest total points I can save is 6 I think. My question is this: Am I right in thinking the bonus does affect training so the total points saved if I follow the tip is the same as if I hold off until I get training?

2. is Quick Action affected by diminishing returns after 10?

TYVM in advance for answers :D

There's lots of items that give bonus to QA too. Also if this is G2 I suggest puTting points into Parry because its very powerful. Get it up to 10 at least, but high teens would be even better. Oh and I suggest putting at least one point in blessing magic since magic will be essential to your survival in G2.

Shantis bonus does affect training. So do quest rewards (say the QA point in drypeak) and books (f.ex. Ciphar's book of Searer).

Yes, QA is affected by diminishing returns.

So the tip only saves gold. Still pretty good to know though, holding off until training is probably harder.

There's lots of items that give bonus to QA too. Also if this is G2 I suggest puTting points into Parry because its very powerful. Get it up to 10 at least, but high teens would be even better. Oh and I suggest putting at least one point in blessing magic since magic will be essential to your survival in G2.

I've read in the Strategy Peripheral links that 18 in Parry is optimal and I intend to reach it but the problem is I can't find an item list anywhere to see which items give Parry bonus. Guess I'll just have to play it safe and set a margin.

Anyway thanks again for the answers and tips :grin:

Training is post-demo and expensive, which is made worse by merchants having limited money and some getting locked if you join a faction early. Iirc it's 3k each for a point in melee & parry and 2,4k for QA ? Don't be too masochistic :p, as a guardian the few points you can save don't really matter, now as a melee agent with higher costs this would be different.

Just checked my end-game G2 Guardian: I had only two items that boosted Parry: Gloves of the Hammer and Guardian Cloak. Each gives +1 to Parry. If you are willing use to them / waiting until obtaining them, you might want not to want to invest skill points beyond 16 (and let these items carry you up to 18).

[spoileralt=Item locations]GotH: Pit of Misfits

Guardian Cloak: Experimental Chambers AND Rising[/spoileralt]

Training is post-demo and expensive, which is made worse by merchants having limited money and some getting locked if you join a faction early. Iirc it's 3k each for a point in melee & parry and 2,4k for QA ?

Oh, I didn't think they were that expensive!

Just checked my end-game G2 Guardian: I had only two items that boosted Parry: Gloves of the Hammer and Guardian Cloak. Each gives +1 to Parry.

Both seem far, judging from the G2 map. I did some searching and read in a thread that points above 14 only increase Riposte chance. +2 means I can safely stop at 14 with points and not waste any. The OCD in me wants to stop at 12 but it's kinda self-defeating to save up points only to be able to use them for less than a quarter of the game lol

Anyway thanks guys for the info!