A:EftP - My playthrough of the Avernum Remix

Hey guys, I decided I'm going to pick up Avernum: Escape from the Pit again, this time with the remix patch Slarty made, and give my thoughts on it when compared to the vanilla version.

I'm going to be using the same party I used last time, since the rules I set up mean it's the ideal party to make sure all types of equipment, spells and weapons get used. The biggest difference is probably going to be with Diana, who previously had first aid and cave lore (I was using every single skill as part of the original rules). This time she's only putting one into cave lore, as the rest of the points can be bought while still making back the training money from cache finds alone, as The Reverend pointed out in this thread. As for first aid, well, that's pretty much the only skill that even my charitable eye found completely useless. In fact, I'm a little disappointed right off the bat that the remix completely ignored this. I mean, how easy would it have been to make one of the battle disciplines a restorative ability that scaled with first aid? Something with massive fatigue that restored HP and MP to the party?

Aaanyway, that's 19 skill points that she'll be using elsewhere, and I'll have to think about the distribution of those. I also think some of the traits will be different, not sure.

I have mixed feelings about the nerfing of haste. On the one hand, that was the biggest advantage to using haste, but on the other hand, I kinda obsessed over spamming haste to make sure it didn't wear off, and I'm thinking that with that taken from me, Lucille will probably be slinging way more spells.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the game unfolds for me!

Good luck! Looks like we're running this together :p It's a little strange starting with the remix on a first playthrough because all the guides etc. are a little useful but they're all a little bit off too.

My party plan is a fair bit more min-maxed than yours but I think I'll have everything I *need*, though I still have a few odd spots to figure out, mostly some extra skill points in my mages that i'm not sure where to allocate.

Swordy (switch shield and dual wield as needed)

31 stat points -- +21 str, +10 End (23 + 5 = 27 str, 12 end) (+8 str, +7 end) = 35 str, 19 end

63 skill points -- 10 melee, 10 hardiness, 10 blademaster, 10 parry, 10 quick action, 10 lethal blow, 2 extra in some weapon (bow?), 1 free point

(+2 to each weapon for 20 total weapon skill for disciplines)

16 traits -- Improved Str x5, Negotiator,mighty blows x 3, backstab x3, good health x3,

Go improved str -> mighty blow -> backstab for upgrade order.

Pokey (similar use spear / halberd as needed)

31 stat points-- +21 str, +10 End (23 + 5 = 27 str, 12 end) (+7 str, +6 end) = 35 str, 19 end

63 skill points -- 10 polearm, 10 hardiness, 10 blademaster, 10 parry,10 quick action, 10 lethal blow, 2 extra in some weapon, (bow?), 1 free point

(+2 to each weapon for 20 total weapon skill for disciplines)

16 traits - Improved Str x5, Negotiator, backstab x3, mighty blows x 3, good health x3

Go improved str->Backstab-> Mighty blow for upgrade order.

Mage

31stat points --- +21 int, +10 end (23+5 27 int, 12 end) ( +7 int, +7 end) = 34 int, 19 end

63 skill points -- Mage skills 17, 3 tool use, 10 spellcraft, 10 resistance, 3 Arcane Lore , 8 some weapon, 11 points remaining (hardiness?)(priest spells?)

(+2 to each weapon from training for 16 total weapon skill -- disciplines?)

16 traits -- improved intelligence x5, negotiator, elemental focus x5, good health x3, sage lore, nimble fingers

Priest

31 stat points -- +21 int, +10 end (23+5 27 int, 12 end) ( +7 int, +7 end) = 34 int, 19 end

63 skill points -- 17 priest skills, 3 tool use,10 spellcraft, 10 resistance, 3 Arcane Lore , 8 some weapon, 11 points remaining (hardiness? mage spells?)

(+2 to each weapon from training for 16 total weapon skill -- disciplines?)

16 traits -- Improved intelligence x5, negotiator, elemental focus x5, good health x3, sage lore, nimble fingers

total party tool use: 6 base +2(fingers) (+4 training) (+1 item) = 13 total (needed for all: 14!)

Total party arcane lore 6 base + 6 (sage lore) +0(2?) (training) = 12 (needed: 12)

(If I'm making any math errors please let me know!)

At the moment I'm up to level 7 and starting to feel like I actually pack some punch. Two fighters setting up backstabs for each other is a really powerful combo, and they're both tough enough to take a hit when they have to. Overall I'm finding the spear more useful than the halberd just because of the potential for really high damage hits against bosses; cleave is nice but anything it'll kill I can just wait a round and kill with a direct hit, plus it breaks Daze. Dual wield is preferable to shield for now but I think once I get my Parry skill up that'll be different.

I'm also glad to see the remix doesn't break Steam achievements, which mods sometimes do for some games.

My mage template at level 30:

8 melee wep ** buy 2 trained levels

10 hardiness - train only after 10

0 quick action ** buy 2 trained levels

2 lethal blow - train only after 2

15 mage sp ** buy 2 trained levels

8 priest

10 spellcraft - train only after 10

10 resistance - train only after 10

My priest template at level 30 is only a little different:

6 mage spells ** buy 2 trained levels

16 priest

1 arcane

Both use + weapon skill items (or buy more training) to reach adrenaline rush.