Skill tree limits?

eaintree

Playing through Avadon for the first time in probably over a year and playing around with cheat codes I didn't have previously, I noticed that it isn't possible to train any of the skills at the top of the tree to level 7 or 8. If you give any one character a 100% focus to either side of the skill tree, ignoring the other side, you only reach skill level 7 on the first two tiers at character level 30, with the third and top tiers left at 6. Yet you still see the "train this skill to level 7 or 8 for a bonus" message. What's the story?

Some items allow you to go higher for the top tier plus there is the column bonus so you can use the better version of a top tier skill.

Jeff didn't think the message through when he wrote the game. Avadon 2 is supposed to have a higher level cap so we should be able to train with skill points the maximum in the top tier.

Really? I don't believe I've ever seen any items that add to the highest skill tree levels.

Also, is there a cheat to give you items? I purchased Avenger's Greaves for Shima from the Kellem merchant who's stranded outside the castle and then... I apparently dropped them, somehow, somewhere on the ground. So annoying.

Okay. The first thing is that you need to locate your scripts. Where they are and how to get at them varies by platform and also by where you purchased the game. Check out this post for basic instructions. If you're having trouble, try the links at the bottom of the post.

Once you've found the scripts, locate the one called z0avadondlg.txt and MAKE A BACK-UP COPY FIRST, then open it up. Search for "obelisk" and you should find this node:

begintalknode;
tag = 37;
condition = 1;
text1 = "The obelisk says:";
text2 = " IN MEMORY OF HEROM OF THE KVA | FIRST KEEPER OF AVADON | [N], he died for you.";
text3 = "You read it again. There it is ... Your name appears to be carved into the stone. What a unique bit of magic.";

You want to add a few lines at the end, so:

begintalknode;
tag = 37;
condition = 1;
text1 = "The obelisk says:";
text2 = " IN MEMORY OF HEROM OF THE KVA | FIRST KEEPER OF AVADON | [N], he died for you.";
text3 = "You read it again. There it is ... Your name appears to be carved into the stone. What a unique bit of magic.";
code =
reward_give(209);
break;

Don't worry about the colors, that's apparently something ipb does, and the spacing will look a little different.

Make sure you include the semicolons. Save, then open your game and click on the obelisk near the front gate of Avadon. If you've done it correctly, the greaves will appear in your inventory. You could have done this with any clickable object that has a dialogue node attached, but the obelisk is convenient and easy to find.