What do you get from "mage/priest spells" skills after level 17?

If the calculations are anything like previous Avernums, the same. Don't quote me on that, though; I've neither done nor read any testing.

—Alorael, who would check the manual, except Spiderweb manuals are notoriously unreliable on even pretty important, major things.

It increases the number of levels of damage you get from the spell, so the exact percentage depends on how many levels you are already getting (where the number of levels is something like Intelligence + Mage Spells + Your Level/2). By the end of the game (assuming you've allocated a good number of points to intelligence and at least 17 points to mage spells), the increase will likely be less than the increase from spellcraft. Of course, spellcraft is capped at 10 (or 12 if you buy two points after training 10), whereas mage spells is not capped (or if it is the cap is higher than I've gotten to), so you can keep increasing it after you've maxed out spellcraft. But, you may be better served by increasing other skills, e.g., hardiness and resistance for better defense.

It increases the number of levels of damage you get from the spell, so the exact percentage depends on how many levels you are already getting (where the number of levels is something like Intelligence + Mage Spells + Your Level/2). By the end of the game (assuming you've allocated a good number of points to intelligence and at least 17 points to mage spells), the increase will likely be less than the increase from spellcraft. Of course, spellcraft is capped at 10 (or 12 if you buy two points after training 10), whereas mage spells is not capped (or if it is the cap is higher than I've gotten to), so you can keep increasing it after you've maxed out spellcraft. But, you may be better served by increasing other skills, e.g., hardiness and resistance for better defense.

Thank you. My spellcraft is well below 10 for all characters, even thouth I have some with mage/priest spells at over 20. I will max out spellcraft before putting in any more points.