I keep on encountering non random hostiles that don't want to fight

I keep on encountering non random groups of sophonts which are clearly hostile to me but are not looking for a fight, I get the option to attack or retreat.

I am honestly baffled whether that is there for:

1. Some are very tough fights so I wonder if those are there just in case you haven't saved for a while and want to retreat rather then die. - if so i would just wipe them out

2. Because there is going to be a quest about them later / they would end up stronger (finish building a fort or whatever).

3. Its meant as a moral choice aka an act of mercy (especially in cases where they are "too pathetic to kil" like those starving mangy nephil or very poor goblins, etc) - does this have any consequences?

4. To avoid boring fights that give 0XP ("too scared to fight you" type of encounters... its obvious on the random encounters but less obvious on the ones that appear to be scripted)

I keep on waiting for the option to forge lasting peace with the other races but it seems too many of them (nephil in particular) fall into the "always chaotic evil" trope and that any act of kindness towards them has no positive results. (due to lack of the game having programming to allow for such not due to my own personal beliefs on the subject of coexistence and peace vs total war and genocide.)

I am referring more to the non random encounters.

The female human mage directing ... goblins I think to dig a tunnel south of silvar (across river).

The giant fisherman village, the giant village near that. The aranea queen.

The random encounters I get, they are just random. Its the non random ones I am curious about. I keep worrying that if I kill them I miss out on a quest related to them later on

I am referring more to the non random encounters.

The female human mage directing ... goblins I think to dig a tunnel south of silvar (across river).

The giant fisherman village, the giant village near that. The aranea queen.

The random encounters I get, they are just random. Its the non random ones I am curious about. I keep worrying that if I kill them I miss out on a quest related to them later on

None of the ones you mention will cause you to miss a quest. And some of them have some nice loot as well, although the fights can be difficult if you aren't high enough level.

Do the goblin diggers ever uncover something interesting if left to their own devices long enough?

I'm pretty sure they do, we just kill them before that. :p

Is there a list of quests that CAN be spoiled by killing the target too early?

There were I remember a few such quests in Avernum 4 and people complained about them, since then as Jerakeen said it's been better.

Not killing friendlies is obvious... But there are some times where they go hostile due to you going somewhere or have a quest to kill them.

I am nearly done with the game and so far the only cases which I found are:

Kyass: Gives out quest chain, but there is also a quest to "drive him out" and you can tress-pass in his quarters which makes his guards hostile (although I haven't verified it makes him hostile too).

Dragons: All except pyrog should not be killed until you finish other quests, as they are needed for various quests, including main ones (and honestly I am not killing the other 4).

Thantria: Do as much of her quests as you are willing before (and if) killing her.

Pyrogs spellbook / Drath's knowledge: Multiple people give you a quest for those, so choose wisely and be aware it will fail for those you don't give it to.

Oh, and obviously, if you are caught stealing and a town goes hostile you lose all quests there, but then... don't get caught!