A:EftP - Erika Spell Tome Query - please don't spoil

I've got a group of characters near 35th level on Torment, and we can't read the spellbooks in Erika's tower. We've got 28 levels of arcane lore (2/2/12/12), everyone's got a level of Drath's knowledge, and two characters have the learning trait (the one that subtracts 3 from the level of knowledge you need to read a spellbook).

My question is - to read her spell tomes, do I just need more Arcane Knowledge/special traits/brute force, or is there something I need to figure out? (If there's something I need to figure out please don't tell me what it is, as I like to figure things out.)

I tried a few odd tricks like throwing up a ward of thoughts, reading the same tome over and over, etc., and I tried briefly switching to Casual difficulty, but so far whenever I try to read those books I just get the "you're dizzy and it takes you time to recover" message. (I'm avoiding strategy central in case it spoils a puzzle or something.)

You don't need 12 arcane lore to get 12 magical efficiency, though. You only need 10 (which you can get with 8 skill points and some $$$). That lets you train efficiency up to 10 via skill points, then buy two more points of efficiency (the prerequisites don't apply to training that you buy).

Also, I found that 5 magical efficiency was enough that I only rarely needed to use energy potions/elixirs (the only dungeons where I used more than one per caster were the three "game winning" quest dungeons). I found way more than that in loot. If you put fewer points into intelligence (and so had fewer spell points), you might need a bit more - bit I think 12 would be a bit high, even then.