Damage types

avok

I have trouble with some of the wordings used in Avadon to describe the damage types and protection from it.

1. Who inflicts magic damage and what is the energy damage?

2. Is energy damage = magic damage and if yes, why don't the items that give percentage increase in magical damage affect the displayed damage range of my rods? I have both Shaman with energy and sourceress with fire attacks. Both are unaffected. I don't see magic damage in the description of any of their abilities and attacks. I recently had a fight with shade that was using some Dark Bolt ability and the log displayed it as Magical Damage. Am I supposed to play like a shade to be able to have magical attacks smile

3. When I apply battle rune store to an armor the Enchantment says +4% magic/elemental protection, but in practice it increases only magical resistance percent with 4? Is that a bug? If not, is there a store that increases elemental protection?

1. Magic damage bonus means all damage from spells and magic attacks (i.e. nearly all sorceress and shaman attacks, and various scarabs). Energy damage is a damage type, which some but not all magic attacks inflict. Your confusion is understandable: some of Jeff's games call the damage type 'magic' and some call it 'energy,' and it's possible that Avadon is inconsistent in its nomenclature because of this.

2. The percentage bonuses aren't listed on weapon/spell damage listings (they only reflect skills, attributes, and the spell/weapon's base damage), but they do work.

3. I'm not sure, actually.

Originally Posted By: Othar Trygvassen: Gentleman
1. Magic damage bonus means all damage from spells and magic attacks (i.e. nearly all sorceress and shaman attacks, and various scarabs). Energy damage is a damage type, which some but not all magic attacks inflict. Your confusion is understandable: some of Jeff's games call the damage type 'magic' and some call it 'energy,' and it's possible that Avadon is inconsistent in its nomenclature because of this.

2. The percentage bonuses aren't listed on weapon/spell damage listings (they only reflect skills, attributes, and the spell/weapon's base damage), but they do work.

3. I'm not sure, actually.

Thanks Othar,

So, then shaman and sourcerer fire and cold attacks are magical attacks? They will get a bonus right? Along with poison and acid attacks maybe?

But what about protection? Poison, acid, cold and fire all have their respective resistances. Energy does not? What protects against energy attacks? And what the magical resistance protects against?

Originally Posted By: Othar Trygvassen: Gentleman
1. Magic damage bonus means all damage from spells and magic attacks (i.e. nearly all sorceress and shaman attacks, and various scarabs).

I didn't test it extensively, but I seemed to notice that my dex based SW did more damage with scarabs like cone of fire/ice as compared to my shaman. I would expect shaman to do more because nature mastery and +magic dmg gear. The SW had similar dex compared to shaman's int, and I wasn't getting the backstab bonus (which is pretty sick actually for the dark bolt scarab). Any reasons this would be the case other than me just not testing it well enough?

Originally Posted By: avok

Thanks Othar,

So, then shaman and sourcerer fire and cold attacks are magical attacks? They will get a bonus right? Along with poison and acid attacks maybe?

But what about protection? Poison, acid, cold and fire all have their respective resistances. Energy does not? What protects against energy attacks? And what the magical resistance protects against?

Anyone has any idea about the protection?

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Energy and magic type damage are the same type damage.

This is distinct from magical ATTACKS, which are an attack type not a damage type -- that is what the % bonus is for.

Poor word choice, eh?

Yep, quite confusing. Thanks for clarifying that!

I wonder are there any rune stones that can give elemental (fire/cold) protection? I haven't seen such stones yet.

Originally Posted By: avok
I wonder are there any rune stones that can give elemental (fire/cold) protection? I haven't seen such stones yet.

Golden runestones give a boost to pretty much every resistance when put on armour. They're probably not as good as stacking as many evasion boosts as possible and becoming virtually impossible to hit, but they're still pretty good.