Are you a collector?

Doctor Albert Halfmann

I would attempt to fight the diversion of this thread into a discussion on the virtues of various fantasy novel series, but I'll just go with it. The collector angle might have run its course, anyway.

Though I could hardly be termed an avid reader in my current state and am unacquainted with the majority of authors being referenced in this discussion, I do have a couple favorite fantasy novels. These are Shardik and Maia, both penned by Richard Adams. Adams also wrote the famous Watership Down, concerning a group of fugitive rabbits from a doomed warren in England, but the two novels I mentioned feature human characters in a world of the author's creation.

I could go on and on, but I'll just link to my reviews of both novels on Goodreads: Shardik and Maia

Maia is especially relevant to the topic at hand, as it prominently features several gay characters, as well as a few downright deviants. Some of these, such as a lesbian, sadomasochistic Queen, are vilified, though the proclivities of the Queen in question are clearly a mere symptom of her thoroughly rapacious nature. Several other more ordinary gay and bisexual characters are portrayed positively and fairly.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Most of Card's writings are not explicitly anti-gay. However, if you read the many statements he has made concerning homosexuality, and then read his books, it's hard not to see the connection. If he just didn't like it, that would be one thing, but he seems pretty intent on connecting it to pedophilia in a way that seems less akin to casual discrimination and more akin to social darwinism and auto-da-fés.

Ouch. This is actually the first I'd heard about his real-life ideology. So far I only disliked him because I thought Ender's Game was awful.

I read Ender's Game as a kid. However, I was very young and my language skills were not up to deciphering "Buggers." I read the entire book thinking that the alien menace was a race of giant boogers. I am not making this up. As a result, I liked the book but often found it confusing. How did giant boogers become so dangerous?