Avadon screen size problems

Bylandt

I bought Avadon on Steam. In windowed mode the game runs fine. But in full screen the game never fits in the screen:

- in some resolutions I'm missing parts at the top and the bottom of the game

- in other resolutions parts at the left and right are gone as well.

In short the game never fits my screen.

My system:

Windows 7 64 bit

Intel® Core i7 CPU

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (latest drivers installed)

Any help is appeciated

I don't think so. Not sure what a widescreen monitor is. There are no buttons on the monitor whatsoever. It's a laptop.

Anyway, I seriously doubt the problems have something to do with my monitor because:

- no other game presents this problem. My laptop always auto adjusts the screen size correctly.

- this guy had the exact same problem with Avadon:

http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=232565

I don't think his problem was solved.

It sounds like it is a fairly extreme aspect ratio, assuming the 1920 by 1080 you cite above is the native resolution. This may be causing the game problems when it tries to figure out how to scale itself. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any way to address this.

Something you might try is using an external monitor with a more traditional aspect ratio instead of the laptop's built-in screen. If that works then you know the issue is with the game adapting to the monitor settings, and would additionally give you a way to play the game with the whole interface, although at the cost of a bit of hassle.

Quote:
I bought Avadon on Steam. In windowed mode the game runs fine. But in full screen the game never fits in the screen:
- in some resolutions I'm missing parts at the top and the bottom of the game
- in other resolutions parts at the left and right are gone as well.

In short the game never fits my screen.

My system:
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel® Core i7 CPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (latest drivers installed)

Any help is appeciated

Bylandt,

Just checking that you've changed the settings correctly- I honestly can't blame you if you didn't. There's an obscure option in Settings called "Game Area Size"- the default will be 'normal', and this will result in the game "chopping off" parts of your screen if you have a 16:9 aspect ratio (1920*1080). This will happen regardless of what resolution you set it. When I tried 1366*768, it chopped off the top/bottom, when I tried 1920*1080, it chopped off the sides, etc.

If you set the Game Area Size to 'Whole Window' it should take up the whole window. Why this isn't done as default I don't know, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

Anyway, try changing that to Whole Window and let us know how it goes.

- Archmagus Micael

yes, Niemand, 1920 x 1080 is my "native" resolution. Unfortunately, I don't have an external monitor to do further testing. (odd that someone from Wisconsin has a Dutch nick, BTW smile )

Earth Empires, my machine is a Toshiba Qosmio X500 quad core:

http://www.vizik.com/product_p/x500-ssd8gb.htm

It's supposed to be a top notch gaming computer. Maybe a little too good in this case ... smile

Archmagus Micael, I tried fiddling with the Game Area Size, but it doesn't affect the problem, I'm afraid. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
widescreen monitors aren't that good when it comes to games.
What is that even supposed to mean? Modern games, including the last three Spiderweb releases, support widescreen resolutions with no problem whatsoever. Bylandt, I know you said you have the latest drivers installed, but have you tried reinstalling them since you tried to run Avadon?

Originally Posted By: Bylandt
yes, Niemand, 1920 x 1080 is my "native" resolution. Unfortunately, I don't have an external monitor to do further testing. (odd that someone from Wisconsin has a Dutch nick, BTW smile )

Earth Empires, my machine is a Toshiba Qosmio X500 quad core:
http://www.vizik.com/product_p/x500-ssd8gb.htm
It's supposed to be a top notch gaming computer. Maybe a little too good in this case ... smile

Archmagus Micael, I tried fiddling with the Game Area Size, but it doesn't affect the problem, I'm afraid. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.

Shame.

Out of curiosity, have you tried downloading the game from the Spiderweb site and see if changing that works from there (I don't see why it would make a difference to be honest, but that's the one I tested against)?

I would also try reinstalling the latest graphics drivers for your system if that still doesn't work(whether you have the latest already installed or not). It's possible (though unlikely) your current drivers have somehow gotten corrupted.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
widescreen monitors aren't that good when it comes to games.

I haven't had a 4:3 (non-widescreen) monitor in 4 or 5 years, and can't say I've had any issues with *any* games, be them indie games like spidweb's or triple A games. Also, for Windows at least, the best bet for avoiding graphics problems is sticking to the monitor's native resolution.

- Archmagus Micael

Originally Posted By: Bylandt
Tyranicus, yes. The problem with this game was the reason why I installed the latest drivers. To no avail.

Archmagus, I could give that a try. But how can I download the game from the Spiderweb site?
You can download the demo for free. If you don't have any issues running that, send Jeff an email at support@spiderwebsoftware.com explaining your situation, and he will send you a registration key.