Game loads and displays fine, but crashes within 1 minute

regomar

As subject. Game loads and graphics display fine, but the game randomly stops running no matter what I do within approx 30-60 seconds of startup and I get sent to the desktop. No error message or anything.

I'm running the demo on Windows XP with 4 gigs of ram and a Radeon HD 5770 videocard. I've never had crashing issues with any other game and I can run indie games and big budget 3D games just fine.

Any thoughts? I was hoping to try the demo before buying, but if I can't run the demo I'm not going to risk paying money.

This is from the Avadon Tech Support page:

Quote:

If you are using 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, it is very important to make sure that you have the latest graphics drivers for your video card. Many video cards are having problems with the new operating system. If the game is crashing or the graphics occasionally look wrong, go and get and install the newest graphics drivers for your card. If this doesn't help, watch for new drivers to be released for your card.

It doesn't seem like it applies to you, but it might be worth updating your drivers anyway. If that doesn't work, there is a version of the game that uses directX, instead of OpenGL. You can find it at: ftp://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/win/AvadonDX.zip

(I know it doesn't seem like a graphics problem, but it's worth a shot. :))

(Also, I just downloaded and tested the DirectX version. Whilst you're right about the splash screens on the intro looking terrible, the actual gameplay seems to look fine. Did you get past the blotchy splash screens?)

Edit: Somebody just posted this to the Tech Support Forum - seems as though it may work, since the graphics cards are the same:

Quote:
Just some quick info that may be of use: I purchased Avadon on Steam and had trouble getting it to run. It would run in windowed mode only. Now I have gotten the game to run in 1920x1080 full screen mode by going into Catalyst Control Center and setting Wait for Vertical Refresh to ON and enabling Triple Buffering under Open GL. It will also work if you disable Triple Buffering and turn Wait for Refresh OFF. My specs are as follows: Win 7 64 bit, ATI 5770 gfx card, and Cat. 11.7 drivers. Hope this helps